|Founded||October 20, 1832|
|Origins||The College of William and Mary|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)
The Wren Society is one of the many secret societies on the campus of the College of William and Mary. Founded in 1832 to honor the two hundredth birthday of Sir Christopher Wren, the society quickly grew in prominence. The society, like many other traditions of the Royal College, fell victim to the American Civil War. Restored in the 20th century by a number of students, the Wren Society has continued to assist the college. The society is thought to meet late at night on the grounds of the original college. Members are 'tapped' based upon their dedication to academics, commitment to service, and demonstration of exceptional leadership within the college community. Membership in the society is steeped in secrecy, but is rumored to consist of a select number of upperclassmen leaders from all walks of campus life. Each individual member is given the decision to reveal themselves as a member of the society either during graduation proceedings or upon their death.
Source: "Wren Society", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, March 10th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wren_Society.
Get our FREE extension now!
Phi Beta Kappa
College of William & Mary
University of Dundee
Westminster College (Missouri)
The Flat Hat
Sunken Garden (Virginia)
History of the College of William & Mary
Muscarelle Museum of Art
The Gentlemen of the College
President's House (College of William & Mary)
- ^ Witherill, George. “A sermon delivered at the installation of the Mountain Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons in the town of Staunton, Virginia, September 23, A.L. 5819,” (Greenfield: Printed by Denio & Phelps, 1819), 12 (P. 4-7).
- ^ a b c "Yudu - TWAMPtannica2010 - Page 39". twamptannica.wm.edu:80. Archived from the original on 15 April 2012. Retrieved 15 January 2022.
- Finding aid for the Student Organizations Collection, Special Collections Research Center, College of William & Mary, which includes the Wren Society.
- 1832 establishments in Virginia
- All articles needing additional references
- All stub articles
- Articles needing additional references from August 2008
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- College of William & Mary student life
- Collegiate secret societies
- Pages using infobox organization with unknown parameters
- United States organization stubs
- Virginia university stubs
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.