Wild Wild West League
|No. of teams||4 (as of 2023)|
The Wild Wild West League is a collegiate summer baseball wooden bat league based out of Portland, Oregon. It serves as a developmental minor league and is owned and operated by the Portland Pickles collegiate baseball club of the West Coast League. The league features four teams and all games are played at Charles B. Walker Stadium at Lents Park in southeast Portland, home of the Pickles.
Discover more about Wild Wild West League related topics
2020: Inaugural season
The league was formed by the Portland Pickles in 2020 following the cancellation of the West Coast League's regular season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Months prior, the Pickles also founded a developmental farm club of their own known as the Portland Gherkins. The Pickles and Gherkins were joined by the previously independent Gresham GreyWolves and West Linn Knights and played the inaugural two-week season at Bob Brack Stadium in Aurora, Oregon, with all players, coaches and staffs having to follow the COVID-19 guidelines at the local, state and federal levels and limited fans in attendance. The league even grabbed the attention nationally of Forbes magazine. The article was quoted as saying, "When nobody else could play, the Wild Wild West League thrived." Play officially begin on July 11, 2020, with the Pickles playing the Gherkins.
On July 15, 2020, the league suspended play for at least seven days following positive COVID-19 tests from two players, just four days after the inaugural season started. The league would resume play eight days later.
The Knights won the inaugural league championship defeating the Pickles 8–7 in the championship game.
The league was so successful that it announced a second season and that all of its games would be moved to Walker Stadium at Lents Park in southeast Portland, home of the Pickles, who returned to the WCL. The Knights were folded and both were replaced by the revived Portland Rosebuds (named for the former Negro league team from the 1940's) and Willamette Wild Bills. The Rosebuds won the 2nd WWWL Championship defeating the Wild Bills 6–4 in the finals.
The league announced expansion into Cleburne, Texas, with a newly-formed four-team Texas Division with all games being played at The Depot at Cleburne Station, also the home of the Cleburne Railroaders of the professional American Association. The four teams founded by the league included the Cleburne Eagles (named for the former Negro league team from the 1930's to 1960's), Joshua Trees, Burleson Boxers and Fort Worth Rodeo Cats. However, the teams never played due to lack of interest. Therefore, the Texas Division teams and plans were scrapped by the league.
The Oregon teams all returned for a third season and became known as the Portland Division with all games once again being played at Walker Stadium. The Portland Gherkins won the 2022 WWWL Championship defeating the Gresham GreyWolves 9–7 in the championship game.
Discover more about History related topics
One of the main attractions to the league is an automated strike zone, dubbed Picklebot 3000. Because of the Picklebot, only one field umpire is used for each game. It was introduced in 2021 and has been used ever since.
|Gresham GreyWolves||Gresham, OR||2020|
|Portland Gherkins||Portland, OR||2020|
|Portland Rosebuds||Portland, OR||2021|
|Willamette Wild Bills||Portland, OR||2021|
Discover more about Current teams related topics
|Team||City||First Season||Last Season||Result|
|Burleson Boxers||Burleson, TX||2022||2022||Never Played|
|Cleburne Eagles||Cleburne, TX||2022||2022||Never Played|
|Fort Worth Rodeo Cats||Fort Worth, TX||2022||2022||Never Played|
|Joshua Trees||Joshua, TX||2022||2022||Never Played|
|Portland Pickles||Portland, OR||2020||2020||Returned to WCL full-time|
|West Linn Knights||Portland, OR||2020||2020||Folded|
Discover more about Former teams related topics
- 2020: West Linn Knights
- 2021: Portland Rosebuds
- 2022: Portland Gherkins
The league broadcasts all games on Facebook Live and YouTube channels using the Portland Pickles' Broadcast Crew. Carlo Jimenez was the initial play-by-play voice in 2020, followed by Mike Chexx in 2021.
Source: "Wild Wild West League", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, March 11th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Wild_West_League.
Get our FREE extension now!
Goss Stadium at Coleman Field
History of baseball in Portland, Oregon
West Coast League
Ron Tonkin Field
Medford Rogues (collegiate wood bat baseball)
Great West League
- ^ Baseball in 2020: Portland Pickles announce formation of Wild Wild West League, JD Humburg, The Oregonian/OregonLive.com, June 13, 2020
- ^ ‘We couldn’t quit on it.’ The Wild Wild West League will bring live sports back to Portland, Matt Cohen, The Oregonian/OregonLive.com, June 14, 2020
- ^ About Us, WWWL official website
- ^ Portland Pickles: Introducing the Wild Wild West League, 750 The Game website, June 11, 2020
- ^ Area Baseball Players Find Opportunity In Wild Wild West League, Jesse Sowa, Corvallis Gazette-Times, July 9, 2020
- ^ Wild Wild West League Offers Rare Chance To Attend Baseball Games During Pandemic, Maury Brown, Forbes, August 4, 2020
- ^ Wild Wild West League opening night brings live team sports back to Oregon, Matt Cohen, The Oregonian/OregonLive.com, July 12, 2020
- ^ Portland Pickles Win First Game of Wild Wild West League, 750 The Game website, July 12, 2020
- ^ Baseball’s Wild Wild West League suspends season after 2 positive coronavirus tests, Matt Cohen, The Oregonian/OregonLive.com, July 15, 2020
- ^ Wild Wild West League to return to baseball Thursday after coronavirus tests come back negative, Matt Cohen, TheOregonian/OregonLive.com, July 20, 2020
- ^ Positive tests shut down Wild Wild West League for week, Tim Martinez, The Columbian, July 15, 2020
- ^ WWWL Championship Game 8/9 #1 West Linn Knights vs #2 Portland Pickles, Portland Pickles YouTube channel, August 9, 2020
- ^ Wild Wild West League Returns For Year 2, Jeremy McDonald, JMcDonaldMedia, January 25, 2021
- ^ WWWL Playoffs: #2 Willamette Wild Bills vs #4 Portland Rosebuds, Portland Pickles YouTube channel, August 29, 2021
- ^ Wild Wild West League Returns With Two New Teams In 2021!, Staff, Wild Wild West League official website, January 25, 2021
- ^ Portland Gherkins vs Gresham Greywolves Championship Finals, WWWL YouTube channel, August 20, 2022
- AfC pending submissions by age/3 months ago
- AfC submissions by date/21 August 2022
- AfC submissions by date/22 August 2022
- AfC submissions declined as a non-notable organization
- AfC submissions declined as lacking reliable third-party sources
- AfC submissions on organisations existing today
- Declined AfC submissions
- Draft articles on North America
- Draft articles on sports
- Drafts with short description
- Pending AfC submissions
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.