Weather of 2023
|Weather year articles (2020–present)|
|2020, 2021, 2022, 2023|
|2023 in science|
The following is a list of weather events that occurred (and are occurring) on Earth in the year 2023. The year began with a La Niña. The most common weather events to have a significant impact are blizzards, cold waves, droughts, heat waves, wildfires, floods, tornadoes, and tropical cyclones.
The following listed different types of special weather conditions worldwide.
Cold snaps and winter storms
Heat waves and droughts
Tropical and subtropical cyclones
Tropical Cyclone Cheneso left 8 deaths in Madagascar after its long-living journey inland and at least 16 people missing among the country. It also brought damage to over 10,000 houses and heavy rainfall.
Extratropical cyclones and European windstorms
Discover more about Types related topics
This is a timeline of weather events during 2023.
This article needs to be updated.(January 2023)
- November 2022–January 2023 – The rainy season in Malawi resulted in 42 fatalities from various severe weather incidents.
- December 31–January 25 — 2022–2023 California floods: A series of atmospheric rivers impacts California, killing 22 people and causing at least 200,000 power outages in the state.
- January 1 – A weather station in Abed, Denmark measured the hottest temperature ever nationwide in the month of january, measuring 12.6 °C (54.7 °F), breaking the previous record of 12.4 °C (54.3 °F) from January 10, 2005.
- January 3–Present — A shear line system caused flooding and landslides across the Philippines, killing 35 people with seven more missing.
- January 4 — Heavy rains caused a house to collapse in Matala, Angola, with two people being killed.
- January 4–5 — Flooding and landslides in Buvaku, Democratic Republic of the Congo kills five people.
- January 6–8 — Flooding and landslides in Indonesia kills five people.
- January 9 — An avalanche kills one person and injures two others in Val-d'Oronaye, France.
- January 10 — Flooding and landslides in Minas Gerais, Brazil kill six people.
- January 10–19 — A cold snap in Afghanistan kills at least 157 people and more than 75,000 livestock. The coldest temperature recorded was −33 °C (−27 °F) in the province of Ghor.
- January 12 — An early season tornado outbreak causes at least six deaths in the Southern United States and several tornado emergencies.
- January 12 — A lightning strike in HaOgen, Israel kills a person walking their dog.
- January 13–16 — Heavy rains in Tijuana, Mexico cause extreme flooding and a mudslide on the 16th which killed two people.
- January 14 — A flash flood in Medellín, Colombia killed two people and injured 25 others.
- January 15 — Fatehpur, Rajasthan records a temperature of -4.7 Celsius (23.4 Fahrenheit) from a cold wave.
- January 16 – Two EF1 tornadoes touch down in Iowa, the first tornadoes in the state in January since 1967.
- January 16 — A landslide in Locroja District, Peru kills three people and leaves three others injured.
- January 17 — An avalanche strikes Nyingchi, Tibet, killing 28.
- January 18–19 — Flooding and landslides in Brazil kill 3 and leave 2 missing.
- January 20 — Cyclone Cheneso leaves 33 dead and 21 missing in Madagascar.
- January 31 – Denmark had its wettest January on record, with a measurement of 123.6 mm (4.87 in) through the month, which beat the 123.0 mm (4.84 in) in January 2007 that previously held the record.
- February 1 – 0.4 in (1.0 cm) of snow falls in New York City, becoming the latest date for first measurable snow there.
Discover more about Timeline related topics
- January 9 — An X1.9-class solar flare causes a widespread radio blackout across South and Central America. The sunspot that caused the solar flare also caused an X1.2-class solar flare on January 5.
Discover more about Space weather related topics
Early 2000 Madagascar floods
Tropical Storm Chedza
2017–18 South-West Indian Ocean cyclone season
Tropical Storm Chalane
Tropical Storm Eliakim
Weather of 2021
Weather of 2022
Tropical Storm Ana (2022)
Weather of 2015
- Record-setting cold, heavy snow grip eastern Asia, AccuWeather, January 24, 2023
- Algeria witnesses rare snowfall, Middle East Monitor, January 25, 2023
- "Al menos ocho muertos y dieciséis desaparecidos por un ciclón en Madagascar". SWI swissinfo.ch (in Spanish). Retrieved 2023-01-27.
- "Madagascar - Tropical Cyclone CHENESO, update (GDACS, MeteoFrance, BNGRC, Meteo Madagascar) (ECHO Daily Flash of 25 January 2023) - Madagascar | ReliefWeb". reliefweb.int. Retrieved 2023-01-27.
- "Malawi - Severe weather (MetMalawi, Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DoDMA) , Floodlist)". Emergency Response Coordination Centre. Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations. Retrieved 6 January 2023.
- Castleman, Terry; Smith, Hayley; Toohey, Grace (January 10, 2023). "Tracking the deaths from California's winter storms". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 10, 2023.
- Betz, Bradford (2023-01-10). "California flooding: At least 17 people dead, more than 200,000 homes, businesses without power". Fox News. Retrieved 2023-01-12.
- "Philippines – Effects of shear line, floods and landslides, update (PAGASA, NDRRMC)". Emergency Response Coordination Centre. Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations. Retrieved 23 January 2023.
- "Angola – Heavy Rains Cause Death and Damages in 5 Provinces". FloodList. Retrieved 9 January 2023.
- "Indonesia - Severe weather (ADINet, BMKG, BNPB, FloodList". Emergency Response Coordination Centre. Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations. Retrieved 10 January 2023.
- "European Severe Weather Database". European Severe Storms Laboratory. Retrieved 10 January 2023.
- "Brazil - Floods and landslides". Emergency Response Coordination Centre. Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations. Retrieved 11 January 2023.
- "Severe cold wave kills more than 150 people in Afghanistan". Firstpost. 2023-01-25. Retrieved 2023-01-29.
- "At least 70 people killed as cold wave sweeps Afghanistan". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2023-01-29.
- "LIVE UPDATES: Four dead, multiple injuries in Autauga county after tornado hits central Alabama". Montgomery Advertiser. Retrieved 2023-01-13.
- "Kibbutz member killed by suspected lightning strike while out walking dog". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 13 January 2023.
- "Mudslide kills two girls in what Tijuana calls the 'worst flooding and rain in 30 years'". Retrieved 19 January 2023.
- "Colombia – Deadly Flash Floods in Medellín, Antioquia". FloodList. Retrieved 16 January 2023.
- "Cold wave conditions prevail in Rajasthan; temperature dips to- 4.7 degrees in Fatehpur, -2.7 in Churu". TimesNow. 2023-01-15. Retrieved 2023-01-17.
- Alviz-Gransee, Noelle (January 17, 2023). "Two January tornadoes touch down in eastern Iowa, first in state since 1967". Des Moines Register. Retrieved January 19, 2023.
- "Peru - Landslide (SENHAMI, INDECI, media)". Emergency Response Coordination Centre. Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations. Retrieved 21 January 2023.
- "Tibet avalanche kills 28 as search called off". BBC News. 21 January 2023.
- "Brazil – 3 Dead, 2 Missing in Floods and Landslides in Santa Catarina – FloodList". floodlist.com. Retrieved 2023-01-21.
- "Madagascar - Tropical Cyclone CHENESO, update (GDACS, MeteoFrance, BNGRC, Meteo Madagascar)". Emergency Response Coordination Centre. Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations. Retrieved 25 January 2023.
- "Death toll climbs to 24 as tropical storm batters Madagascar". The Nation. 2023-01-29. Retrieved 2023-01-29.
- Central Park sees 1st measurable snowfall after breaking 50-year-old weather record, ABC7NY, February 1, 2023
- Tariq Malik (2023-01-09). "Huge solar flare erupts on the sun from 'hyperactive' sunspot". Space.com. Retrieved 2023-01-10.
- "Meteorological phenomena on Mars observed by the Perseverance rover". Retrieved 27 January 2023.
- Cooper, Keith (25 January 2023). "Perseverance Mars rover files 1st detailed weather report". Space.com. Archived from the original on 27 January 2023. Retrieved 27 January 2023.
|Global weather by year|
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.