|Broadcast area||Lewiston-Auburn, Portland|
|Branding||95.5 and 95.9 WPEI|
|Affiliations||WEEI Sports Radio Network|
Fox Sports Radio
Boston Red Sox Radio Network
Boston Celtics Radio Network
Portland Sea Dogs Radio Network
|Owner||Atlantic Coast Radio, LLC|
|WJJB-FM, WLOB, WRED, WPPI|
First air date
|July 18, 1982|
Former call signs
Call sign meaning
|HAAT||121 meters (397 ft)|
|43°32′33″N 70°24′17″W / 43.54250°N 70.40472°W|
Coordinates: 43°32′33″N 70°24′17″W / 43.54250°N 70.40472°W
WPEI (95.9 FM) is a WEEI Sports Radio Network station serving the Portland, Maine area. The station is owned by Atlantic Coast Radio.
Discover more about WPEI related topics
On July 18, 1982, WPEI signed on as WPIG with a country format and the slogan "Southern Maine's Country: FM-96 WPIG". In 1984, it became hot adult contemporary WHYR with slogans "Your Stereo", and then "R-96". In July 1990, WHYR flipped to contemporary hit radio as "96-HYR". In 1995, WHYR changed calls to WRED, but kept the same format and was known on air as "Red Hot 95" with the slogan "Portland's Hot Hits". Some time later, WRED went rhythmic top 40 as "Red Hot 95.9" with the slogan "Maine's #1 for Blazin' Hot Hits".
On August 31, 2008, at 6 PM, WRED dropped its rhythmic top 40 format after a farewell from station DJs (airstaff and listeners had been notified a week in advance). WRED and WJJB-FM (which was simulcasting The Big JAB) then flipped to programming provided by Boston's WEEI, with the simulcast of The Big JAB moving to 96.3 FM. (WGEI had initially planned to use the WTEI call sign, and for a week in September 2008 used the WUEI call letters.) The shift left the market with no hip-hop-based station.
Up until April 1, 2009, WEEI's programming was also heard on sister station WGEI (95.5 FM), and the stations were known as WEEI on the 95's. As of April 2009, WGEI is now simulcasting AM sister station WLOB, as WLOB-FM; that station eventually returned to simulcasting with WPEI in August 2011, and is now WPPI.
Discover more about History related topics
WPEI does not carry Boston College football. It does carry Boston Celtics basketball, as well as Boston Red Sox baseball in tandem with The Big JAB. WPEI carries ESPN Radio when not airing WEEI; it had previously carried Fox Sports Radio (now on The Big JAB) and Sporting News Radio (simulcast from The Big JAB, before WZAN dropped the FSR affiliation). WPEI has been the flagship station of the Portland Sea Dogs since 2012, taking over for WBAE/WVAE that year.
Discover more about Programming related topics
Source: "WPEI", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, March 5th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPEI.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ Broadcasting Yearbook 1983 (PDF). 1983. p. 109. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- ^ Routhier, Ray (2008-08-19). "WEEI to air in Maine Sept. 1". Portland Press Herald. Archived from the original on 2008-08-26. Retrieved 2008-08-19.
- ^ a b "WEEI Sports Radio Network Expands to Portland, Bangor & Keene" (PDF) (Press release). Entercom Communications. 2008-08-20. Retrieved 2008-08-20.
- ^ "Call Sign History". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- ^ "Sports Digest". Portland Press Herald. November 3, 2011. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- WEEI official website
- WPEI in the FCC FM station database
- WPEI on Radio-Locator
- WPEI in Nielsen Audio's FM station database
- 1982 establishments in Maine
- All articles with unsourced statements
- Articles using infobox radio station
- Articles with short description
- Articles with unsourced statements from April 2009
- Coordinates on Wikidata
- ESPN Radio stations
- Radio stations established in 1982
- Radio stations in Maine
- Radio stations in Portland, Maine
- Saco, Maine
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Sports radio stations in the United States
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.