Union of Poles in Lithuania
Union of Poles in Lithuania (Polish: Związek Polaków na Litwie, ZPL; Lithuanian: Lietuvos lenkų sąjunga) is an organization formed in 1989 to bring together members of Polish minority in Lithuania. It numbers between 6,000 to 11,000 members. It defends the civil rights of the Polish minority and engages in educational, cultural and economic activities. It is the largest Polish organization in Lithuania, and was created in 1990.
Union of Poles in Lithuania was created at the first congress of Socio-Cultural Association of Poles (SSKPL) in Lithuania on 15-16 April 1989. SSKPL's chairman Jan Sienkiewicz proposed its transformation into a new organisation, in order to avoid accusations that a cultural organisation is engaging in political activities. The proposal was accepted, and the association has withdrawn from the Lithuanian Cultural Fund and transformed into the Union of Poles in Lithuania. Sienkiewicz became a chairman of the new organisation. At its second congress on April 22, 1990, the ZPL supported Lithuania's declaration of independence on March 11 of that year and declared its readiness to cooperate in building a free state.
ZPL organizes meetings ('Zjazdy' - 'congresses') of Polish minority, and publishes a magazine, Nasz Czas. The latter was created in 2001 through the merger of the former Association magazine, "Nasza Gazeta", Estonia's Polish minority magazine "Nasza Polonia" and the Latvian Polish minority magazine "Łatgalia". The publication is supported by Senate of Poland and The Foundation Aid to Poles in the East.
The Association is not engaged in political activities, leaving them to the Polish minority political party, the Electoral Action of Poles in Lithuania.
Discover more about Union of Poles in Lithuania related topics
Source: "Union of Poles in Lithuania", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, February 9th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_Poles_in_Lithuania.
Get our FREE extension now!
Electoral Action of Poles in Lithuania – Christian Families Alliance
Union of Poles in Germany
Poles in Lithuania
Poles in Belarus
Polish minority in Ireland
Ludwik Abramowicz (1879–1939)
Poles in Moldova
Union of Poles of Romania
- ^ a b (in Polish) ZWIĄZEK POLAKÓW NA LITWIE. Encyklopedia Interia. Last accessed 20 January 2007.
- ^ a b (in Polish) wspolnota-polska.org.pl X Zjazd Polaków na Litwie
- ^ Kosman 2001, pp. 141–142.
- ^ Jundo-Kaliszewska 2019, pp. 190–191.
- ^ (in Polish) Nasza Gazeta homepage Archived August 6, 2007, at the Wayback Machine and Nasz Czas homepage
- Jundo-Kaliszewska, Barbara (2019). Zakładnicy historii. Mniejszość polska w postradzieckiej Litwie [Hostages of history. The Polish minority in post-Soviet Lithuania] (in Polish). Łódź.
- Kosman, Michał M. (2001). "Polacy na Litwie wobec odrodzenia państwowości litewskiej" [Poles in Lithuania and the revival of Lithuanian statehood] (PDF). In Pająk, Kazimierz; Załubski, Jan (eds.). U schyłku tysiąclecia: księga pamiątkowa z okazji sześćdziesięciolecia urodzin Profesora Marcelego Kosmana. Poznań: Forum Naukowe. ISBN 8388544012.
- All stub articles
- Articles containing Lithuanian-language text
- Articles containing Polish-language text
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with Polish-language sources (pl)
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- Articles with short description
- Ethnic organizations based in Lithuania
- Lithuania stubs
- Lithuania–Poland relations
- Organizations established in 1990
- Poland stubs
- Polish diaspora organizations
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Webarchive template wayback links
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.