Ukrainian Choice – Right of the People
Украинский выбор — право народа
Український вибір — право народу
|Founded||4 April 2012|
|Dissolved||March 2022(de facto)|
|Split from||Social Democratic Party of Ukraine (united)|
|Headquarters||Vasylkivska 23-B, Kyiv|
|Political position||Big tent|
|National affiliation||Opposition Platform — For Life (2018–22)|
|Colours|| Light blue|
Ukrainian Choice, officially since 2016 named Ukrainian Choice – Right of the People (Ukrainian: Український вибір — Право народу; Russian: Украинский выбор — право народа), is an NGO in Ukraine. It was initiated by and is led by the business tycoon Viktor Medvedchuk. In Ukraine it is considered a pro-Russian organisation.
After the beginning of the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, the activities of the organization actually ceased, and its leaders were detained by the SBU on charges of preparing a coup d'état and collaborating with Russian special services.
Discover more about Ukrainian Choice related topics
The organization was founded in April 2012 and is noticed to oppose European Union and NATO membership of Ukraine and would prefer Ukraine to join the Eurasian Economic Union instead. The group also wants "decentralization of power followed by the transition to a federal structure, while maintaining the territorial integrity and unity of Ukraine".
Ukrainian Choice also emphasizes Slavic Orthodox values: in July 2013, it organized a conference on the topic "Orthodox-Slavic values – the basics of the civilizational choice of Ukraine", where Vladimir Putin held a speech. (Putin is the godfather of Medvedchuk's 2004 born daughter Darina).
Discover more about Ideology related topics
According to The New York Times the group aimed at stopping former president Viktor Yanukovych from signing Ukraine's Association Agreement with the European Union. In a leaked June 2013 Russian-ordered consultation document, whose contents have been corroborated by a former security source in Ukraine, the Russian government wanted Ukrainian Choice to influence public opinion. At the time Medvedchuk and the organization had marginal popular support in Ukraine.
In the fall of 2013, Ukrainian Choice ran an aggressive anti-gay ad campaign warning against "decayed values" in the Western world. Some of the ads claimed that association with the European Union would mean the legalization of same-sex marriage. At the time, Medvedchuk described the European Union as the "modern heir to the Third Reich."
During annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation in March 2014, the organization organized blockage of Ukrainian military logistics.
Discover more about Activities related topics
Former president of Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk stated in 2012 that "The Ukrainian Choice is not a Ukrainian choice, but a choice of Russia in Ukraine".
Dmitry Alekseev, a Russian political technologist and director general of Russia's National Political Agency, said in December 2013 that Russia was trying to "forge" pro-Russian politicians in Ukraine, so it was funding Viktor Medvedchuk's Ukrainian Choice project, as previously funded by Natalia Vitrenko's Progressive Socialist Party of Ukraine.
On February 26, 2014, deputies of the Zakarpattia Oblast Council banned the activities of Viktor Medvedchuk's "Ukrainian Choice" in the region.
"Ukrainian Choice" is also accused of anti-Semitism for articles on the organization's website, which accuses Jews of allegedly owning all power in Ukraine.
In March 2021 the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) searched "Ukrainian Choice" offices across Ukraine as part of their investigation theses that the organisation helped to organize the Crimean referendum during the 2014 Russian annexation of Crimea. The SBU also claimed that the organisation continued to coordinate the activities of its members in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea "despite attempts to publicly distance themselves from the illegal actions of their colleagues on the peninsula." "Ukrainian Choice" officially liquidated its Crimean branch in 2017.
Discover more about Criticism related topics
Source: "Ukrainian Choice", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, March 25th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Choice.
Get our FREE extension now!
Security Service of Ukraine
2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine
Oleh Voloshyn (politician)
Opposition Platform — For Life
Party of Shariy
2014 Russian sabotage activities in Ukraine
Brotherhood (Ukrainian political party)
- ^ a b c d (in Ukrainian) The Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) searched the office of Medvedchuk's public movement, Ukrayinska Pravda (25 March 2021)
- ^ a b Criminal proceedings against Viktor Medvedchuk opened over high treason, encroachment on Ukraine’s territorial integrity, Ukrinform (5 February 2019)
- ^ a b Ukraine's Choice: East Or West?, Radio Free Europe (April 17, 2016)
- ^ Ukrainian Choice leader Medvedchuk says he doesn't represent interests of DPR, LPR, but negotiates with them, Kyiv Post (Jun. 25, 2014)
- ^ BFM.ru. "На Украине задержан член фракции «Оппозиционная платформа — За Жизнь» Виктор Медведчук". BFM.ru - деловой портал (in Russian). Retrieved 2022-08-12.
- ^ "СБУ задержала одного из лидеров партии Медведчука "Украинский выбор"". www.unian.net (in Russian). Retrieved 2022-08-12.
- ^ "В Киеве задержали одного из лидеров партии Медведчука «Украинский выбор», который сотрудничал с российскими спецслужбами | Громадское телевидение". hromadske.ua (in Russian). 5 May 2022. Retrieved 2022-08-12.
- ^ "СБУ заявила о задержании одного из лидеров партии Медведчука". Life.ru (in Russian). 2022-05-05. Retrieved 2022-08-12.
- ^ a b Failing Ukraine state plays in to Russia's hands, Reuters (May 18, 2014)
- ^ a b c d Close Friend of Russian Leader Takes Role as a Negotiator for Ukraine, The New York Times (FEB. 11, 2015)
- ^ Медведчук і Марченко помінялися місцями. Tablo ID (in Ukrainian). 2007-11-11. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- ^ Kremlin-imposed “Ukrainian choice”, The Ukrainian Week (3 July 2012)
Playing opposition, Den (15 August 2013)
Russia's Plan For Ukraine: Purported Leaked Strategy Document Raises Alarm, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (20 August 2013)
- ^ Pro-Russian group of people blocked the Odessa highway in Mykolaiv impeding transportation of Ukrainian military transport. News PN. 2 March 2014
- ^ «Український вибір» Медведчука — це вибір Росії в Україні" // «Країна», 24.07.2012. (in Ukrainian)
- ^ "Російський політтехнолог розповів, хто фінансує "Український вибір" Медведчука". www.unian.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- ^ "На Закарпатті заборонили «Український вибір» Медведчука". zik.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- ^ "Антисемитский выбор Виктора Медведчука". АРГУМЕНТ. Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- ^ "Антимайдан і «антиєвреї»". Club-tourist. Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- Anti-Ukrainian sentiment
- Antisemitism in Ukraine
- Articles containing Russian-language text
- Articles containing Ukrainian-language text
- Articles with Russian-language sources (ru)
- Articles with Ukrainian-language sources (uk)
- Articles with short description
- CS1 Russian-language sources (ru)
- CS1 Ukrainian-language sources (uk)
- CS1 uses Ukrainian-language script (uk)
- Political organizations based in Ukraine
- Political parties disestablished in 2022
- Political parties established in 2012
- Russian nationalism in Ukraine
- Short description is different from Wikidata
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.