The Hits Collection, Volume One
|The Hits Collection, Volume One|
|Greatest hits album by|
|Released||November 22, 2010|
|Length||56:03 (disc 1)|
15:15 (disc 2)
The Hits Collection, Volume One is a greatest hits album by American rapper Jay-Z. It was released on November 22, 2010 by Def Jam Recordings and Roc Nation. Although greatest hits compilations of Jay-Z have been released internationally before, this was the first of its kind to be released in the United States, in which it was released in a standard edition, deluxe edition, collector's edition box set as well as a 3-disc deluxe vinyl. The album features four tracks from The Black Album, three from The Blueprint 3 and one from each of Jay's other solo albums dating back to Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life.
Title and packaging
The Hits Collection, Volume One was Jay-Z's first greatest hits album to be released by Roc Nation, and is the only greatest hits album to be released so far in his career. The front packaging of the album cover features Jay-Z's signature diamond hands, which are a reference to his fifth studio album The Dynasty: Roc La Familia. The inside album sleeve contains a booklet with photos of Jay-Z throughout his career, song descriptions, as well as an opening acknowledgment from Jay-Z himself.
In the opening acknowledgement, Carter wrote:
To be honest, I've avoided doing this type of project. It's difficult to pick 14 songs that define who I am. Some of my best songs were never released as singles. I've challenged myself to make classic albums that will define my legacy–and not just individual songs. Still, the timing of this project finally felt right to me.
Most of my recording career was with Def Jam. That chapter is closed, and a new one has opened: with Roc Nation. This album represents that transition. This is a collector's piece. It represents some of my strongest work. Each song represents a different time, a different feeling, or a different emotion. Plenty of people have already purchased this music 100 times. Still–I worked hard to sequence the songs, to create a true listening experience. Once you have all the great songs in one place, you can't go wrong. Ha.
This project means more than record sales. I collect art, things that inspire me, and I want Hits to be that for you. The artwork, the photos I'm willing to share represent my appreciation for your support through the years. As I go to the next level and open more doors, I truly believe there's no limit to where we can take hip-hop culture. Vol. 2 comin' soon. On to the next one.— S.C. (Shawn Carter)
|15.||"Young, Gifted and Black"||Marley Marl||2:01|
|16.||"Pump It Up" (Freestyle)||Just Blaze||1:57|
|17.||"My President Is Black" (Remix) (Young Jeezy featuring Jay-Z)||Tha Bizness||3:58|
|18.||"Go Hard" (Remix) (DJ Khaled featuring Jay-Z, Kanye West and T-Pain)||The Runners||3:36|
|19.||"This Life Forever"||Ty Fyffe||3:43|
Discover more about Track listing related topics
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||83|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)||121|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||89|
|New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)||19|
|Norwegian Albums (VG-lista)||16|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||98|
|UK Albums (OCC)||20|
|US Billboard 200||43|
|US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)||11|
Discover more about Charts related topics
Source: "The Hits Collection, Volume One", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, November 25th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hits_Collection,_Volume_One.
Get our FREE extension now!
The Black Album (Jay-Z album)
The Best of Both Worlds (Jay-Z and R. Kelly album)
Jay-Z albums discography
The Blueprint 2: The Gift & The Curse
Greatest Hits (Bruce Springsteen album)
Vault: Def Leppard Greatest Hits (1980–1995)
The Greatest Hits Collection (Bananarama album)
'03 Bonnie & Clyde
Kingdom Come (Jay-Z album)
Hollywood (Jay-Z song)
American Gangster (album)
Greatest Hits (Foo Fighters album)
Greatest Hits (Bon Jovi album)
Ora (Rita Ora album)
Magna Carta Holy Grail
The Story So Far – The Best Of
- Kellman, Andy (November 22, 2010). "The Hits Collection, Vol. 1 – Jay-Z : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- "Music – Review of Jay-Z – The Hits Collection – Volume One". BBC. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- "REVIEW: Jay-Z – "The Hits Collection (Vol.1)"". Blaremagazine.com. November 22, 2010. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- "The Hits Collection, Vol. One | Album Reviews". Pitchfork. November 23, 2010. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010 (PDF ed.). Mt Martha, Victoria, Australia: Moonlight Publishing. p. 143.
- "Ultratop.be – Jay-Z – The Hits Collection - Volume One" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved August 21, 2022.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Jay-Z – The Hits Collection - Volume One" (in German). GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved August 21, 2022.
- "Charts.nz – Jay-Z – The Hits Collection - Volume One". Hung Medien. Retrieved August 21, 2022.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Jay-Z – The Hits Collection - Volume One". Hung Medien. Retrieved August 21, 2022.
- "Swisscharts.com – Jay-Z – The Hits Collection - Volume One". Hung Medien. Retrieved August 21, 2022.
- "Official Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved August 21, 2022.
- "Jay-Z Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved August 21, 2022.
- "Jay-Z Chart History (Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved August 21, 2022.
- "British album certifications – Jay-Z – The Hits Collection - Volume One". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved October 14, 2022.
- 2010 greatest hits albums
- Album articles lacking alt text for covers
- Album chart usages for Billboard200
- Album chart usages for BillboardCanada
- Album chart usages for BillboardRandBHipHop
- Album chart usages for BillboardRap
- Album chart usages for Flanders
- Album chart usages for Germany4
- Album chart usages for Ireland2
- Album chart usages for New Zealand
- Album chart usages for Norway
- Album chart usages for Scotland
- Album chart usages for Switzerland
- Album chart usages for UK2
- Album chart usages for UKR&B
- Albums produced by Just Blaze
- Albums produced by Kanye West
- Albums produced by No I.D.
- Albums produced by Rick Rubin
- Albums produced by Tha Bizness
- Albums produced by Timbaland
- Albums produced by the Neptunes
- Articles with hAudio microformats
- Articles with short description
- Def Jam Recordings compilation albums
- Jay-Z compilation albums
- Roc Nation compilation albums
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Use mdy dates from October 2020
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.