Sycamore Pictures is an American production company founded by producers Ben Nearn and Tom Rice.
The company was formed in 2011 with a focus on producing films with a "more redemptive tone" suitable for families. Nearn, formerly an investment banker who moved on to become COO and a minority investor in Cross Creek Pictures, maintains the company's Memphis offices; Rice, an independent film producer and writer, maintains the Los Angeles office. The startup funds for Sycamore were raised by Nearn from investors both from the Memphis area and elsewhere, with a business model based on profit participation by actors, directors and creative personnel.
The company's first production, The Way Way Back, had its debut at the Sundance Film Festival in 2013, where distribution rights were purchased for US$9.75 million, reportedly the largest distribution deal made at the festival that year.
Begin Again (2014) has been described as "an old-fashioned, let’s-put-on-a-show movie musical disguised as an indie relationship drama" and as "that real rarity, a feel-good story of friendship — not sexual love — between a man and woman."
Merry Friggin' Christmas, scheduled for release in late 2014, features Robin Williams in the last movie he made before his death in 2014.
Discover more about History related topics
|2013||The Way Way Back||Nat Faxon
|Begin Again||John Carney|
|2014||A Merry Friggin' Christmas||Tristram Shapeero|
|2015||Mississippi Grind||Anna Boden
|2016||The Hollars||John Krasinski|
|2017||Speech & Debate||Dan Harris|
|Unicorn Store||Brie Larson|
Discover more about Filmography related topics
Source: "Sycamore Pictures", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, December 1st), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sycamore_Pictures.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ a b c Beifuss, John (5 August 2013). "Memphis Commercial Appeal". Memphis-based 'Way Back' Producer Looks Forward. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- ^ Rucker, LaReeca (26 July 2013). "Jackson-born producer 'Way, Way' on his way". The Clarion Ledger.
- ^ Shaw, Lucas (28 January 2013). "Business Insider". How Fox Searchlight Made The Biggest Deal At Sundance: $9.75M On An Egg Sandwich. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- ^ "Movie Capsules: What's Showing". Memphis Commercial Appeal. August 29, 2014. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- ^ Khatchatourian, Maane (August 16, 2014). "Robin Williams in 'A Merry Friggin' Christmas' Clip". Variety. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- All stub articles
- American companies established in 2011
- American film company stubs
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- Companies based in Los Angeles
- Film production companies of the United States
- Mass media companies established in 2011
- Privately held companies of the United States
- Television production companies of the United States
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.