|Born||26 November 1926|
|Died||20 April 2021 (aged 94)|
|Service/||Swedish Air Force|
|Years of service||1948–1988|
|Awards||Knight of the Order of the Sword|
Lieutenant General Sven-Olof Olson (26 November 1926 – 20 April 2021) was a senior Swedish Air Force officer. He served as Commanding General of the Southern Military District from 1980 to 1982 and as Chief of the Air Force from 1982 to 1988.
Discover more about Sven-Olof Olson related topics
Olson was born on 26 November 1926 in Oskarshamn, Sweden, the son of Axel Olson, a furniture dealer, and his wife Ellen (née Ingvarsson). He passed studentexamen in Kalmar in 1945.
Olson graduated from the Royal Swedish Air Force College (Kungliga Flygkadettskolan) in 1948 and was commissioned as a second lieutenant at Västmanland Wing (F 1) the same year. As a pilot he flew J 30 and J 33. In 1951 he received the Stockholms-Tidningen's gold medal after having saved a J 30 Mosquito fighter aircraft from a serious situation. Olson was promoted to lieutenant in 1950 and attended the General Course at the Royal Swedish Air Force Staff College from 1953 to 1954, where he attended the Technical Course from 1956 to 1957. He was promoted to captain in 1957 and to major in 1960. Olson was head of the Department of Combat Management System ain he Air Staff's Planning Department from 1957 to 1962. He was responsible for operational planning and construction of STRIL 60 from 1958 to 1962 and was promoted to lieutenant colonel in 1963. He was head of the Planning Department in the Defence Staff from 1963 to 1967 when he was promoted to colonel.
Olson attended the Military Academy Karlberg and the Swedish National Defence College and was head of the Planning Department at the Defence Staff in 1963. Olson was a military expert in the 1965 Defense Investigation from 1965 to 1967 and commanding officer of the Flygvapnets krigsskola (F 20) from 1967 to 1971 and commanding officer of Uppland Wing (F 16) from 1971 to 1973, both in the city of Uppsala. He became major general and Vice Chief of the Defence Staff in 1973 and was commanding officer of the Attack Group (E 1) from 1977 to 1980 when he was promoted to lieutenant general. In 1980-1982 Olson was the military commander of the Southern Military District (Kristianstad) in Sweden. He assumed the position of Chief of the Air Force on 1 October 1982 and left the command on 30 September 1988.
Olson served as president of the Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences from 1988 to 1991. Olson became CEO of AB Afoma and chairman of the board of Nyge CSE Aviation AB (Saab Nyge Aero AB from 1999) as well as a board member of Volvo lastvagnar AB, Celsius AB and Maynard AB.
Discover more about Career related topics
De Havilland Mosquito
De Havilland Venom
Royal Swedish Air Force Staff College
Air Staff (Sweden)
Defence Staff (Sweden)
Military Academy Karlberg
Chief of the Defence Staff (Sweden)
First Air Group
Southern Military District (Milo S)
Chief of Air Force (Sweden)
Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences
Dates of rank
- 1948 – Second lieutenant
- 19?? – Lieutenant
- 1957 – Captain
- 1960 – Major
- 1963 – Lieutenant colonel
- 1967 – Colonel
- 1973 – Major general
- 1980 – Lieutenant general
Discover more about Dates of rank related topics
Awards and decorations
- Commander 1st Class of the Order of the Sword (6 June 1974)
- Commander of the Order of the Sword (18 November 1971)
- Knight 1st Class of the Order of the Sword (1964)
- Swedish Air Force Volunteers Association Medal of Merit in gold (January 1987)
- Swedish Air Force Volunteers Association Shield of Honour (January 1987)
- Swedish Military Sports Association Medal of Merit in gold (The King's Medal) (Sveriges militära idrottsförbund förtjänstmedalj i guld (Kungamedaljen)) (1989)
- Stockholms-Tidningen's gold medal "for Swedish aviation services" (1950)
- Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Lion of Finland (7 April 1987)
Discover more about Awards and decorations related topics
- Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences (1968; president 1988–1991; honorary member in 2011)
- Honorary member of the Swedish Aviation Historical Society (Svensk flyghistorisk förening, SFF)
- Honorary member of the Östergötland Aviation Historical Society (Östergötlands Flyghistoriska Sällskap)
Source: "Sven-Olof Olson", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, July 25th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven-Olof_Olson.
Get our FREE extension now!
- Olson, Sven-Olof, ed. (1969). Flygvapnets krigsskola, [Uppsala]: [25:e officersexamen F 20, 18.6.69] (in Swedish). Uppsala: Flygvapnets krigsskola.
- ^ "Appendix. Förberedelser för luftoperativ samverkan" (PDF). Kungl. Krigsvetenskapsakademiens handlingar och tidskrift (in Swedish). Stockholm: Kungl. Krigsvetenskapsakademien (1): 89. 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- ^ Strand, Dieter (20 December 1998). "Här är min egen hemliga IB-lista" [Here is my own secret IB-list]. Aftonbladet (in Swedish). Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- ^ a b c d Davidsson, Åke, ed. (1968). Vem är vem?. 5, Norrland : supplement, register [Who is Who?. 5, Norrland : supplements, directory] (in Swedish) (2nd ed.). Stockholm: Vem är vem. p. 856.
- ^ a b Andersson, Björn (2016). Kungl Krigsvetenskapsakademien: Svenska krigsmanna sällskapet (till 1805), Kungl Krigsvetenskapsakademien : 20 år med akademien och dess ledamöter 1996-2016 (in Swedish). Stockholm: Kungl. Krigsvetenskapsakademien. p. 83. ISBN 9789198087888. SELIBR 20033514.
- ^ a b Levin, Louise (20 April 2021). "MINNESORD ÖVER GENERALLÖJTNANT SVEN-OLOF OLSON" (in Swedish). Swedish Armed Forces. Retrieved 26 April 2021.
- ^ a b Kjellander, Rune (2013). Svenska flygvapnets högre chefer 1925-2005: chefsbiografier och befattningsöversikter (in Swedish). Värmdö: Rune Kjellander. p. 88. ISBN 9789163711831. SELIBR 15870537.
- ^ a b c d Uddling, Hans; Paabo, Katrin, eds. (1992). Vem är det: svensk biografisk handbok. 1993 [Who is it: Swedish biographical handbook. 1993] (in Swedish). Stockholm: Norstedt. p. 855. ISBN 91-1-914072-X.
- ^ "Ny chef för Flygvapnet" (PDF). Flygvapennytt (in Swedish). Stockholm: Flygstaben (1): 24. 1982. ISSN 0015-4792. SELIBR 8257600.
- ^ "Saab Nyge Aero AB" (in Swedish). Saab AB. 1 June 1999. Retrieved 26 April 2021.
- ^ Kungl. Hovstaterna: Kungl. Maj:ts Ordens arkiv, Matriklar (D 1), vol. 14 (1970–1979), p. 33, digital imageing.
- ^ Kungl. Hovstaterna: Kungl. Maj:ts Ordens arkiv, Matriklar (D 1), vol. 14 (1970–1979), p. 45, digital avbildning.
- ^ Bihang till Sveriges statskalender 1968. Kungl. Svenska riddareordnarna 1968 (in Swedish). Uppsala. 1968. p. 135.
- ^ a b Andersson, Torsten (1987). "I medaljregnet" (PDF). Flygvapennytt (in Swedish). Stockholm: Flygstaben (2): D. ISSN 0015-4792. SELIBR 8257600.
- ^ "Förre CFV SMI-belönad" (PDF). Flygvapennytt (in Swedish). Stockholm: Flygstaben (5): 31. 1989. ISSN 0015-4792. SELIBR 8257600.
- ^ "Finland hedrar FV: CFV förlänad unik orden" (PDF). Flygvapennytt (in Swedish). Stockholm: Flygstaben (2): 27. 1987. ISSN 0015-4792. SELIBR 8257600.
- ^ Kjellander, Rune (1996). Kungl Krigsvetenskapsakademien: Svenska krigsmanna sällskapet (till 1805), Kungl Krigsvetenskapsakademien : biografisk matrikel med porträttgalleri 1796-1995 (in Swedish). Stockholm: Akad. p. 173. ISBN 9163041812. SELIBR 7451162.
- ^ Allard, Thomas (April 2021). "Vår högt värderade Hedersmedlem Sven-Olof Olson har tyvärr lämnat oss". www.flyghistoria.org (in Swedish). Swedish Aviation Historical Society. Retrieved 26 April 2021.
- ^ "Hedersmedlem 90 år". www.ofsflyg.se (in Swedish). Östergötlands Flyghistoriska Sällskap. 28 November 2016. Retrieved 26 April 2021.
- 1926 births
- 2021 deaths
- Articles with short description
- CS1 Swedish-language sources (sv)
- Commanders First Class of the Order of the Sword
- Commanders Grand Cross of the Order of the Lion of Finland
- Members of the Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences
- People from Oskarshamn Municipality
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Swedish Air Force lieutenant generals
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.