|14th Minister of Defence of Ukraine|
14 October 2014 – 29 August 2019
|Preceded by||Valeriy Heletey|
|Succeeded by||Andriy Zahorodniuk|
Stepan Tymofiyovych Poltorak
11 February 1965
Vesela Dolyna, Odesa Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
|Allegiance|| Soviet Union (1983–1991)|
|Branch/service|| Soviet Army|
Ukrainian Ground Forces
|Years of service||1983-2018|
|Rank||General of the army of Ukraine|
|Commands|| National Academy of Internal Troops (2002–2014)|
Internal Troops/National Guard (2014)
Stepan Tymofiyovych Poltorak (Ukrainian: Степан Тимофійович Полторак) is a Ukrainian general who served as the Minister of Defence of Ukraine from 14 October 2014 until 29 August 2019. Previously he was the commander of the Internal Troops of Ukraine and National Guard of Ukraine. Poltorak's rank was General of the army of Ukraine. From 1 January 2019, Poltorak remained the country's defense minister as a civilian, after resigning from military service in October 2018. Poltorak resigned at the request of newly inaugurated president Volodymyr Zelensky on 20 May 2019.
Discover more about Stepan Poltorak related topics
Poltorak was born on 11 February 1965 in the village Vesela Dolyna (located in the Bolhrad Raion, Odesa Oblast). He has served in the military since August 1983. Poltorak is a graduate from Ordzhonikidzevsky highest military command college of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the USSR.
Poltorak has a Ph.D. In 2003 he successfully defended his thesis on "Pedagogical conditions of the skills of the commander unit in the future officers of the Interior Ministry of Ukraine."
In March 2002 Poltorak was appointed head of the Academy of the Interior Ministry of Ukraine in Kharkiv.
On 28 February 2014 acting President of Ukraine Oleksandr Turchynov appointed Poltorak commander of the Internal Troops of Ukraine.
When the National Guard of Ukraine was reestablished on 13 March 2014, Poltorak became its first commander on 15 April 2014.
On 14 October 2014, Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada approved Poltorak's appointment as Ukraine's Minister of Defence. , replacing Valeriy Heletey, who was appointed head of the State Security Administration after President Petro Poroshenko accepted his resignation.
President Poroshenko accepted Poltorak's resignation from military service on 13 October 2018. Poltorak stayed on as Minister of Defence.
Poltorak resigned at the request of newly inaugurated president Volodymyr Zelensky on 20 May 2019. His official tenure as Defence Minister ended on 29 August 2019 when Andriy Zahorodniuk was appointed his successor.
Discover more about Biography related topics
Awards and decorations
Discover more about Awards and decorations related topics
Source: "Stepan Poltorak", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, January 26th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepan_Poltorak.
Get our FREE extension now!
Main Directorate of Intelligence (Ukraine)
Internal Troops of Ukraine
Chief of the General Staff (Ukraine)
National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine
Office of the President of Ukraine
President of Ukraine
List of Ministers of Defense (Ukraine)
National Guard of Ukraine
Armed Forces of Ukraine
Ukrainian territorial defence battalions
People's Front (Ukraine)
Second Yatsenyuk Government
Governor of Kharkiv Oblast
- ^ a b "Квота Зеленського: Рада призначила міністра оборони".
- ^ a b c d Turchynov proposes parliament appoint Poltorak as National Guard commander, Interfax-Ukraine (19 March 2014)
- ^ "Про присвоєння військових звань".
- ^ a b c d Poltorak quits military service, continues to lead Defense ministry as civilian – Poroshenko, UNIAN (13 October 2018)
Poltorak quits military service to continue leading Ukrainian Defense Ministry as civilian, Interfax-Ukraine (13 October 2018)
- ^ a b "Ukraine's Defence Minister Poltorak resigns".
- ^ a b c d e (in Ukrainian) Turchynov appointed a new commander of the Internal Troops Archived 2014-04-16 at the Wayback Machine, Espreso TV (28 February 2014)
- ^ (in Russian) Former head of the Kharkov Academy of Internal Troops became the commander of the National Guard, sq.com.ua (15 April 2014)
- ^ Parliament appoints Poltorak as commander of National Guard of Ukraine, Interfax-Ukraine (15 April 2014)
- ^ "Poltorak becomes Defense Minister". ukrinform.ua. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- ^ "Rada okays Poltorak's appointment as Ukrainian defense minister". Interfax-Ukraine. No. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- ^ "Rada approves Poltorak as defense chief". unian.info. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- ^ "Ukrainian Ex-Defense Minister Appointed Head of State Protection Service". RIA Novosti. 15 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- ^ a b (in Russian) Poltorak's wife is the captain of the militia, Vesti (15 October 2014)
- ^ a b c d e f g (in Ukrainian) Biography on the official website of Kharkiv
- ^ (in Russian) Small biography, LB.ua (10 October 2016)
- ^ About amendments to some legislative acts of Ukraine. Law of Ukraine. 13 March 2014
- 1965 births
- Articles containing Ukrainian-language text
- Articles with PLWABN identifiers
- Articles with Russian-language sources (ru)
- Articles with Ukrainian-language sources (uk)
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- Articles with short description
- Commons category link from Wikidata
- Defence ministers of Ukraine
- Generals of the Army (Ukraine)
- Heads of universities and colleges in Ukraine
- Ivan Chernyakhovsky National Defense University of Ukraine alumni
- Living people
- People from Odesa Oblast
- People of the National Guard of Ukraine
- Recipients of the Order of Bohdan Khmelnytsky, 1st class
- Recipients of the Order of Bohdan Khmelnytsky, 2nd class
- Recipients of the Order of Bohdan Khmelnytsky, 3rd class
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Ukrainian military personnel of the war in Donbas
- Webarchive template wayback links
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.