State Border Guard Service of Ukraine
|State Border Guard Service|
Державна прикордонна служба
|Abbreviation||SBGS / ДПСУ|
|Formed||July 31, 2003|
|Employees||~ 60 000 (2022)|
|Headquarters||26, Volodymyrska st, Kyiv|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Internal Affairs|
The State Border Guard Service of Ukraine (SBGS; Ukrainian: Державна Прикордонна Служба України, Derzhavna Prykordonna Sluzhba Ukrayiny; abbr. ДПСУ, DPSU) is the border guard of Ukraine. It is an independent law enforcement agency, organized by the Constitution of Ukraine as a military formation, the head of which is subordinated to the President of Ukraine.
The Service was created on July 31, 2003, after the reorganization of the State Committee for Protection of the State Border. During wartime, units of the State Border Guard Service fall under the command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The State Border Guard Service includes the Ukrainian Sea Guard, which is the country's coast guard. It is also responsible for running Temporary Detention Centres, in which refugees are held.
Discover more about State Border Guard Service of Ukraine related topics
Ukrainian border guards are the national successors of the Soviet Border Troops. They were formed from the approximately 17,000 Border Troops located in Ukraine in 1991. The organization was first titled the "Ukrainian Border Troops", which was later subordinated to the "Ukraine's State Committee for State Border Guarding".
From 1991 to at least 1993, the new borders with Russia and Belarus were not guarded; the Border Troops were only deployed along the western borders (minus Moldova) and on the Black Sea. Another 9,000 personnel were added to the Border Troops at the expense of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, and, by the end of 1993, border posts were established in the north along the Russian and Belarusian borders. In 1999, the authorized strength of the force was again increased to 50,000.
In 2003, new legislation was adopted, and this somewhat changed the legal status of the institution. In March 2003, the Border Troops became the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine, and its status was legally changed from 'military formation' to 'special law-enforcement body.' The force was legally granted 50,000 personnel, including 8,000 civilian employees.
On 4 July 2012, a State Border Guard Service Diamond DA42 aircraft failed to make its scheduled radio contact with ground units. A Search and rescue mission revealed that the plane had crashed into a wooded mountainous area in Velykyi Bereznyi Raion, killing all 3 crew members on board. A further investigation was launched.
During The War in Donbas on August 31, 2014, two Sea Guard Zhuk class patrol boats were struck by land-based artillery. In June 2, a border base in the outskirts of Luhansk was besieged by a troop of Luhansk People's Republic separatists. The Siege of the Luhansk Border Base resulted in 10 wounded Border Guards until they surrendered and withdrew.
In 2022, during the Battle of Snake Island 13 Border Troops were attacked and captured by Russian warships. A unit of Border Guards was stationed in Mariupol and fought during the Siege of Mariupol. In 20 April, the Border Guards were stranded in an encircled pocket at the Mariupol sea port together with National Police of Ukraine, until they were rescued by the Azov Regiment and retreated into the Azovstal Iron and Steel Works.
Discover more about History related topics
State Border Guard Service of Ukraine is a special enforcement branch tasked with the protection of Ukrainian state border on land, sea or any other inland water obstacle. During wartime, the Border Guards units fall under the command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. They were the first Ukrainian units to counter Russian invasion on February 24, 2022.
Mobile Response Units
- Dozor Detachment
- Stalevy Kordon Infantry Brigade
- Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi Detachment
- Berdyansk Detachment
- Chernivtsi Detachment
- Chop Detachment
- Donetsk Detachment
- Kharkiv Detachment
- Kherson Detachment
- Kramatorsk Detachment
- Izmail Detachment
- Lviv Detachment
- Luhansk Detachment
- Lutsk Detachment
- Mohyliv-Podilskyi Detachment
- Mukachevo Detachment
- Odesa Detachment
- Podilsk Detachment
- Shostka Detachment
- Sumy Detachment
- Zhytomyr Detachment
- Izmail Maritime Guards
- Mariupol Maritime Guards
- Odesa Maritime Guards
- Lviv Aviation Squadron
- Kharkiv Aviation Squadron
- Odesa Aviation Squadron
- Cossack Regiment Shevchenko
- Special Purpose Battalion Sever
Directors (Commanders) of the Border Guard Service (Border Troops)
- 1991-1994 Valeriy Hubenko
- 1994-1999 Viktor Bannykh
- 1999-2001 Borys Oleksiyenko
- 2001-2014 Mykola Lytvyn
- 2014-2017 Viktor Nazarenko
- 2017-2019 Petro Tsyhykal
- 2019–present Serhiy Deyneko
Discover more about Commanders related topics
Discover more about Equipment related topics
Source: "State Border Guard Service of Ukraine", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, March 18th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Border_Guard_Service_of_Ukraine.
Get our FREE extension now!
State Emergency Service of Ukraine
2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine
National Guard of Ukraine
Timeline of the 2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine
Armed Forces of Ukraine
Special forces of Ukraine
Joint Forces Operation (Ukraine)
Special Operations Forces (Ukraine)
Timeline of the war in Donbas (2014)
Fights on the Ukrainian–Russian border (2014)
Structure of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
- ^ Мільйон українців у формі захищає Україну від росіян
- ^ "Official website of the authority.Contact Us". 2017.
- ^ "УКАЗ ПРЕЗИДЕНТА УКРАЇНИ №403/2019". Official website of the President of Ukraine (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- ^ "Main tasks of the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine". dpsu.gov.ua. Retrieved 2022-08-05.
- ^ Leonid Polyakov, 'Paramilitary Structures in Ukraine,' Almanac on Security Sector Governance in Ukraine 2010, 143-144, Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces.
- ^ Фотографии с места катастрофы самолета Diamond DA-42 в Закарпатье
- ^ Qena, Nebi (2014-06-04). "6 militants killed, 3 Ukrainian troops injured in Luhansk fighting". CTVNews. Retrieved 2022-05-01.
- ^ "500 separatists storm border control building in Luhansk, Ukraine". UPI. Retrieved 2022-05-01.
- ^ "Marines and "Azov" rescue 500 fighters from the port of Mariupol - media". Ukrayinska Pravda. Retrieved 2022-05-01.
- ^ "With Invasion of Ukraine, Security Council's 2022 Efforts to Maintain International Peace, Stability Mired by Widening Rifts between Veto-Wielding Members - World | ReliefWeb". reliefweb.int. Retrieved 2023-02-20.
- ^ Chao-Fong, Léonie; Thomas, Tobi; Beazley, Jordyn (2023-02-07). "Kyiv claims last 24 hours was deadliest day of conflict for Russian troops – as it happened". the Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2023-02-20.
- ^ Lister, Tim (2023-02-20). "After nearly one year of war, how Ukraine defied the odds — and may still defeat Russia". CNN. Retrieved 2023-02-20.
- ^ a b President appoints Nazarenko as new border chief, Interfax-Ukraine (23 October 2014)
- ^ Poroshenko appoints Head of Operations Department Tsyhykal as State Border Service chief, Interfax-Ukraine (25 July 2017)
- ^ Zelensky appoints new chief border guard, UNIAN (14 June 2019)
- ^ Cпеціальні навчання мобільних підрозділів Archived 2015-02-15 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Державна прикордонна служба України отримала сучасну автомобільну техніку та обладнання майже на 135 мільйонів гривень Archived 2015-02-13 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ МИНОБОРОНЫ, СБУ, МВД И ГОСПОГРАНСЛУЖБА УКРАИНЫ ПОЛУЧИЛИ ОТ ГОСУДАРСТВА НОВЫЕ АВТОМОБИЛИ СКОРОЙ МЕДИЦИНСКОЙ ПОМОЩИ Archived 2015-02-24 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ «ЗакарпатевроТранс II» переоборудовал авто на спецзаказ от Госпогранслужбы Archived 2016-01-16 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Пограничникам подарили бронированные Volkswagen и Toyota Archived 2015-02-15 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ a b Львівські прикордонники отримали сучасну техніку від ЄС (фоторепортаж) Archived 2015-03-27 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Прикордонники їдуть на східний кордон
- ^ Украинские пограничники пересядут на новые busы Volkswagen
- ^ Автомобили Ford Transit - на защите границ Украины
- ^ bus ЛАЗ-695Н "ДПСУ" возле Южного вокзала
- ^ Закарпатці повернулися із пекла війни (ФОТО)
- ^ В Государственной пограничной службе Украины подвели годовые итоги и определили основные направления деятельности в 2013 году Archived 2014-03-22 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Харьковские пограничники отметили 20-летие Восточного управления погранслужбы
- ^ "Three more helicopters fly from France to Ukraine for Border Guard Service". en.interfax.com.ua. 22 December 2021.
- All articles to be expanded
- Articles containing Russian-language text
- Articles containing Ukrainian-language text
- Articles to be expanded from September 2012
- Articles using small message boxes
- Articles with short description
- Border guards
- Borders of Ukraine
- CS1 Ukrainian-language sources (uk)
- Commons category link is on Wikidata
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- State Border Guard Service of Ukraine
- Webarchive template wayback links
- Wikipedia articles needing clarification from April 2016
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.