Sorry for Your Loss (film)
|Sorry for Your Loss|
|Directed by||Collin Friesen|
|Written by||Collin Friesen|
|Produced by||Kyle Bornais|
|Edited by||Joni Church|
|Music by||Shawn Pierce|
Middle Child Films
|Distributed by||Incendo Productions|
Sorry for Your Loss is a Canadian black comedy film, directed by Collin Friesen and released in 2018.
The film stars Justin Bartha as Ken Wall, a frustrated marketing executive who is ambivalent about the fact that his wife Lori (Inbar Lavi) has just given birth to their first child. When he receives news that his father has died, he travels home to Winnipeg for the funeral with hopes of inheriting money he can use to quit his job and pursue his dream of opening his own gastropub, only to learn upon arrival that his father's will stipulates that he will only inherit the money if he successfully scatters his father's ashes in the middle of IG Field.
The cast also includes Bruce Greenwood as Jeff Steadman, the executor of Ken's father's will; Kevin McDonald as Ken's father's lawyer Vince Kendall; and Lolita Davidovich as Ken's mother Eve. Sandrine Holt and Darrin Rose also appear in supporting roles.
The film was shot in Winnipeg in 2017, and premiered at the Calgary International Film Festival in 2018. It opened commercially in May 2019.
Discover more about Sorry for Your Loss (film) related topics
Andrew Parker of TheGATE.ca gave the film a mixed review, writing that "Sorry for Your Loss is the kind of movie where one can see that the actors are seasoned and well directed, but that not much thought was put into how the film itself should function visually or emotionally." He praised the main performances, writing that "whenever Bartha is paired alongside Greenwood or Lavi (which is thankfully frequent), Sorry for Your Loss gives a hint of what this could’ve been like with a more thoroughly workshopped script."
For Original Cin, Jim Slotek wrote that "In Sorry for Your Loss, a pretty sizable character transformation must happen in the course of 90 minutes. A Christmas Carol notwithstanding, it’s hard to imagine any single experience, no matter how transformative, that can turn you from someone who is “dead inside” to someone who stops and smells the roses. It’s pure expediency, and a bit of a character cheat, rendering the ending unsatisfying and too neat. That said, Sorry for Your Loss is an entertaining, banter-filled take on the straight-line from our parents to ourselves, one that grows on you after viewing.
The film received three Canadian Comedy Award nominations at the 19th Canadian Comedy Awards in 2019, for Best Feature Film, Best Performance in a Feature Film (Greenwood) and Best Writing in a Feature Film (Friesen).
Source: "Sorry for Your Loss (film)", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, December 9th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorry_for_Your_Loss_(film).
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ a b c d e Andrew Parker, "Review: Sorry for Your Loss". TheGATE.ca, May 30, 2019.
- ^ Jordan Pinto, "Sorry For Your Loss sets up in Winnipeg". Playback, May 3, 2017.
- ^ Eric Volmers, "Calgary International Film Festival to open with John C. Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix western The Sisters Brothers". Calgary Herald, August 28, 2018.
- ^ Jim Slotek, "Sorry for Your Loss: A darkly humorous mid-life crisis movie that's more than the sum of its neuroses". Original Cin, May 30, 2019.
- 2010s Canadian films
- 2010s English-language films
- 2018 comedy films
- 2018 films
- All articles with broken or outdated citations
- All articles with dead external links
- Articles with broken or outdated citations from June 2022
- Articles with dead external links from June 2022
- Articles with short description
- Canadian black comedy films
- English-language Canadian films
- Films set in Winnipeg
- Films shot in Winnipeg
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Template film date with 1 release date
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.