Siege of Groningen (1672)
|Siege of Groningen|
|Part of Franco-Dutch War|
The siege of Groningen in 1672,
by Dirk Maas
|Bishopric of Münster||Dutch Republic|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Bernhard von Galen||Carl von Rabenhaupt|
|Casualties and losses|
This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in Dutch. (October 2015) Click [show] for important translation instructions.
The Siege of Groningen was a battle that took place in 1672 during the Franco-Dutch war. It was a Dutch victory that ended all hope of the Bishop of Münster to push deeper into the Netherlands. The Münster army was so weakened by the defeat that the Dutch army successfully reconquered much of the land that Münster had conquered just weeks earlier. Every year, the city of Groningen celebrates its victory as a local holiday on 28 August.
Source: "Siege of Groningen (1672)", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, March 13th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Groningen_(1672).
Get our FREE extension now!
Third Anglo-Dutch War
William II, Prince of Orange
Christoph Bernhard von Galen
Battle of Groningen
Roman Catholic Diocese of Groningen-Leeuwarden
Albertine Agnes of Nassau
Siege of Niezijl
Carl von Rabenhaupt
Hans Willem van Aylva
Siege of Geertruidenberg (1593)
Siege of Groningen (1594)
Siege of Grave (1674)
- Israel, Jonathan (1995), The Dutch Republic: Its Rise, Greatness, and Fall 1477–1806, Oxford: Clarendon Press, ISBN 0-19-873072-1
- Media related to Siege of Groningen (1672) at Wikimedia Commons
- 1672 in the Dutch Republic
- All stub articles
- Articles needing translation from Dutch Wikipedia
- Articles with J9U identifiers
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Battles in Groningen (province)
- Commons category link is on Wikidata
- Conflicts in 1672
- Coordinates on Wikidata
- History of Groningen (city)
- Siege stubs
- Sieges involving the Dutch Republic
- Sieges involving the Holy Roman Empire
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.