Siege of Bonn (1673)
|Siege of Bonn|
|Part of the Franco-Dutch War|
Holy Roman Empire
Electorate of Cologne
|Commanders and leaders|
William III of Orange |
Johann von Sporck
|60,000 men||2,000 men|
|Casualties and losses|
The siege of Bonn took place from 3 to 12 November 1673 in Bonn, Germany, during the Franco-Dutch War. Having forced the armies of Louis XIV to retreat, the Dutch in 1673 went on the offensive. At Bonn, a garrison consisting of troops from France and the Electorate of Cologne was besieged by a force from the Dutch Republic (commanded by stadtholder William III), the Holy Roman Empire (commanded by Raimondo Montecuccoli), and Spain. The allied forces captured the garrison following a nine-day siege.
In 1689 Bonn was again the site of a major siege.
Discover more about Siege of Bonn (1673) related topics
Source: "Siege of Bonn (1673)", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, March 5th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Bonn_(1673).
Get our FREE extension now!
Third Anglo-Dutch War
Battle of Fleurus (1690)
Battle of Seneffe
Siege of Maastricht (1673)
Battle of Cassel (1677)
Siege of Namur (1692)
Siege of Valenciennes (1676–1677)
Dutch States Army
Siege of Cambrai (1677)
Carl von Rabenhaupt
Siege of Rees (1599)
Hans Willem van Aylva
Siege of Rheinberg (1601)
Johann von Sporck
List of Dutch villages, castles and country houses destroyed or damaged by the French in 1672-1673
Siege of Huy (1694)
Claude Frédéric t'Serclaes, Count of Tilly
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017)
- ^ Stieve 1893, pp. 266–267.
- ^ Panhuysen 2009, p. 395.
- ^ Nimwegen 2020, p. 134.
- Felix Stieve (1893), "Sporck, Johann Graf von", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), vol. 35, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 264–267
- Panhuysen, Luc (2009). Rampjaar 1672: Hoe de Republiek aan de ondergang ontsnapte. Uitgeverij Atlas. ISBN 9789045013282.
- Nimwegen, Olaf van (2020). De Veertigjarige Oorlog 1672-1712: de strijd van de Nederlanders tegen de Zonnekoning (in Dutch). Prometheus. ISBN 978-9044638714.
- 1673 in Europe
- 1673 in the Holy Roman Empire
- All articles needing additional references
- Articles needing additional references from February 2017
- Battles in North Rhine-Westphalia
- CS1 Dutch-language sources (nl)
- CS1 German-language sources (de)
- Conflicts in 1673
- Coordinates on Wikidata
- History of Bonn
- Sieges involving France
- Sieges involving Spain
- Sieges involving the Dutch Republic
- Sieges involving the Holy Roman Empire
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.