|Coordinates: 50°31′N 04°15′E / 50.517°N 4.250°ECoordinates: 50°31′N 04°15′E / 50.517°N 4.250°E|
|• Mayor||Bénédicte Poll (MR)|
|• Governing party/ies||LB - Ecolo|
|• Total||62.77 km2 (24.24 sq mi)|
|• Density||180/km2 (470/sq mi)|
Seneffe (French pronunciation: [sənɛf] (listen); Walloon: Sinefe) is a municipality of Wallonia located in the province of Hainaut, Belgium.
On 1 January 2006 Seneffe had a total population of 10,743. The total area is 62.77 km² which gives a population density of 171 inhabitants per km².
The municipality consists of the following districts: Arquennes, Familleureux, Feluy, Petit-Rœulx-lez-Nivelles, and Seneffe.
The Château de Seneffe, now a museum belonging to the French Community of Belgium, is located in the municipality.
Seneffe was the site of a battle in 1674 between French and Dutch armies during the Franco-Dutch War.
Discover more about Seneffe related topics
Between 1965 and 1982 Seneffe was the location of a car plant belonging to British Leyland, which in its later years assembled models including the Mini and the Austin Allegro from crated kits shipped from the company's Cowley facility. A significant milestone was reached in June 1977 when the plant produced its 500,000th vehicle, an Austin Allegro 1300 Special. The Seneffe plant was closed in 1982 as the company's aging model range lost market share across Europe, with further loss of demand resulting from the depressed state of the UK economy at the time. With alternative employment opportunities limited, the plant closure triggered considerable bitterness locally.
Discover more about British Leyland related topics
Source: "Seneffe", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, October 28th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneffe.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ "Wettelijke Bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2018". Statbel. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- ^ "Deeper into Europe". Autocar. Vol. 136 (nbr 3975). 22 June 1972. pp. 2–3.
- ^ "News: Belgians build ½-millionth Leyland". Autocar. Vol. 146 (nbr 4205). 11 June 1977. p. 19.
- ^ "Chateau Fort de Feluy". www.chateaudefeluy.be.
- Articles containing Walloon-language text
- Articles with BNF identifiers
- Articles with GND identifiers
- Articles with MusicBrainz area identifiers
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- Articles with hAudio microformats
- Articles with multiple identifiers
- Articles with short description
- CS1: long volume value
- Commons category link from Wikidata
- Coordinates on Wikidata
- Infobox mapframe without OSM relation ID on Wikidata
- Municipalities of Hainaut (province)
- Pages using infobox settlement with image map1 but not image map
- Pages using the Kartographer extension
- Short description is different from Wikidata
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.