Lady Justice Asplin
|Lady Justice of Appeal|
|Assumed office |
|High Court Judge|
|Born||16 September 1959|
|Alma mater||Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge|
Dame Sarah Jane Asplin DBE (born 16 September 1959) is a British judge of the Court of Appeal of England and Wales. She was granted the customary appointment as Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire on appointment as a High Court judge in 2012, becoming the third woman appointed to the Chancery Division.
Asplin attended Southampton Sixth Form College for Girls and read law at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, earning a BA in Law in 1982 (promoted to MA (Cantab) by seniority in 1986). She went on to obtain the degree of BCL at St Edmund Hall, Oxford.
Discover more about Education related topics
Asplin was called to the bar (Gray's Inn) in 1984 and was appointed a Queen's Counsel in 2002. She became the Head of Chambers at 3 Stone Buildings in 2009, and was a deputy High Court Judge until her appointment to the High Court on 1 October 2012 as the Honourable Mrs Justice Asplin. She was the third woman to be assigned to the Chancery Division, after Mary Arden and Sonia Proudman.
On 22 February 2013, she was appointed as Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire.
She was promoted to the Court of Appeal on 7 October 2017.
In January 2019, Dame Sarah's appointment as Chair of the Church of England's Clergy Discipline Commission was announced. She simultaneously became the President of the Tribunals.
Discover more about Legal career related topics
In 1986, Asplin married Nicholas A. Sherwin, a solicitor with Clifford Chance, who had been a contemporary at Cambridge.
Source: "Sarah Asplin", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, October 23rd), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Asplin.
Get our FREE extension now!
Order of the British Empire
Mary Arden, Lady Arden of Heswall
Elizabeth Butler-Sloss, Baroness Butler-Sloss
High Court judge (England and Wales)
Jill Black, Lady Black of Derwent
- ^ "No. 60439". The London Gazette. 5 March 2013. p. 4263.
- ^ List of Members - Cambridge University (University of Cambridge, 1991), pp. 45, 1229: "SHERWIN Sarah Jane (Asplin Sarah Jane )"
- ^ "No. 56538". The London Gazette. 16 April 2002. p. 1.
- ^ "Sarah Asplin QC appointed as Judge". 21 September 2012. Archived from the original on 6 October 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- ^ "Appointment of a High Court Judge: Asplin" (Press release). Ministry of Justice. 5 September 2012. Archived from the original on 18 March 2014. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- ^ London Gazette notice of elevation of Mrs Justice Asplin to Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE); accessed 8 December 2014.
- ^ H M Government (6 October 2017). "Crown Office". London Gazette. No. 62073. London. p. 18654.
- ^ "New Chair of Clergy Discipline Commission | The Church of England".
- ^ List of Members - Cambridge University (University of Cambridge, 1991), p. 1229
- 1959 births
- 21st-century King's Counsel
- AC with 0 elements
- All articles with unsourced statements
- All stub articles
- Alumni of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge
- Alumni of St Edmund Hall, Oxford
- Articles with short description
- Articles with unsourced statements from November 2019
- British law biography stubs
- Chancery Division judges
- Dames Commander of the Order of the British Empire
- English King's Counsel
- English women judges
- English women lawyers
- Lady Justices of Appeal
- Living people
- Members of Gray's Inn
- Members of the Privy Council of the United Kingdom
- Place of birth missing (living people)
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Use dmy dates from April 2022
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.