Rear-engine, four-wheel-drive layout
In automotive design, an R4, or Rear-engine, Four-wheel-drive layout places the internal combustion engine at the rear of the vehicle, and drives all four roadwheels.
This layout is typically chosen to improve the traction or the handling of existing vehicle designs using the rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout (RR).
The R4 layout is very rare, only having been used on a small number of production vehicles. Notable vehicles with this layout include several high-performance Porsche sports cars, including the 959, the 911 Turbo since the introduction of the turbocharged version of the 993 series in 1995, and the 911 Carrera 4 introduced with the 964 series in 1989.
Some Volkswagen Kübelwagen (the rear-engined beetle-based military vehicle used by Germany in World War II) variants were produced with 4-wheel or all-wheel drive, including the Type 86, Type 87, Type 98. Also, some Vanagons/Microbuses came in 4WD Syncro version.
Discover more about Rear-engine, four-wheel-drive layout related topics
Porsche 959, rear-engine, four-wheel-drive, to speed of 197 mph to 211 mph
Porsche 993 Turbo
Discover more about Examples related topics
Source: "Rear-engine, four-wheel-drive layout", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2020, September 5th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-engine,_four-wheel-drive_layout.
Get our FREE extension now!
- Ludvigsen, Karl (2003). Porsche. Excellence Was Expected. Vol. 3. Cambridge, Mass.: Bentley Publishers. ISBN 0-8376-0235-1.
- Taylor, Blaine (2004). Volkswagen Military Vehicles of the Third Reich. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Da Capo Press. ISBN 0-306-81313-0. OCLC 55534990.
- Road Trippers, Syncro
- Porsche - 1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupé, Cabriolet, Targa, Speedster, and 4 Coupé
- Porsche - 1989 Porsche Turbo 911 Coupé, Cabriolet, and Targa
- Official website of Porsche
- 993 Owners and information
- Information on and about Porsche 993
- Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (Generation 993) Exterior and Interior in Full HD 3D YouTube
- -Driving Americas with VW Westfalia 4x4 Extreme Adventure, YouTube
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Porsche 993.|
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.