Quality Meat Scotland
|Type||Executive non-departmental public body|
|Headquarters||Rural Centre, West Mains, Ingliston, Newbridge|
|Employees||28 (Q1 2022)|
Quality Meat Scotland (QMS) is an executive non-departmental public body of the Scottish Government. It promotes the red meat sector and markets the Protected Geographical Indication Scotch Beef and Scotch Lamb brands.
It was set up in 1990 (originally as the Scottish Quality Beef & Lamb Association) to provide assurance to industry and consumers that animals produced for the food chain met certain standards. It was established on a statutory basis in 2008, replacing the Meat and Livestock Commission.
Discover more about Quality Meat Scotland related topics
In 2021, covert footage was shot at a high welfare farm owned by Philip Sleigh, the chairman of the pig standard-setting committee at Quality Meat Scotland. Footage showed farmers hammering pigs to death, weak piglets being slammed into concrete floors and pigs with severe untreated prolapses. Animal Equality UK said "Rubbing shoulders with government officials and accreditation reps, Philip Sleigh was entrusted with a position of power, yet his own farm breached the very standards he helped set".
Source: "Quality Meat Scotland", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, February 4th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_Meat_Scotland.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ a b "National public bodies directory - Executive non-departmental public bodies". Scottish Government. 26 July 2022. Retrieved 6 October 2022.
- ^ a b "Our Board". Quality Meat Scotland. Retrieved 6 October 2022.
- ^ "Quality Meat Scotland (QMS) Assurance Scheme - Cattle and Sheep". SFQC (Scottish Food Quality Certification Ltd). Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- ^ Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006, section 91; Quality Meat Scotland Order 2008.
- ^ "Pigs hammered to death at 'high-welfare' farm". The Independent. 2 May 2021. Retrieved 15 August 2022.
- 1999 establishments in Scotland
- Agriculture in Scotland
- All stub articles
- Animals in Scotland
- Articles containing Scottish Gaelic-language text
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- Brand name meats
- Executive non-departmental public bodies of the Scottish Government
- Farm assurance
- Government agencies established in 1999
- Livestock stubs
- Meat industry organizations
- Meat processing in the United Kingdom
- Meat stubs
- Organisations based in Edinburgh
- Scotland government stubs
- Scottish cuisine
- Use British English from November 2017
- Use dmy dates from November 2017
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.