|• Total||6.91 km2 (2.67 sq mi)|
|Elevation||732 m (2,402 ft)|
|• Density||2,000/km2 (5,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Ogíjares is a municipality located in the central-southern part of the province of Granada, Spain. According to the 2005 census (INE), the city had a population of 11877 inhabitants.
Ogíjares had its origins as two small Arab farming villages, although utensils and interments from the Visigoths and as far back as the Neolithic have been found locally. The name comes from the Latin phrase "Hortum Sacrum", which translated in Arabic became Ortexica, and then Oxijar. With the Christian conquest of Granada, the two villages became known as High Ogíjar and Low Ogíjar, finally united into what today is Ogíjares. Like many nearby municipalities, Ogíjares has become a suburb of nearby Granada.
Source: "Ogíjares", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2021, January 14th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogíjares.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ Municipal Register of Spain 2018. National Statistics Institute.
- ^ "Ogíjares, Sierra Nevada". Granada Tourism. Archived from the original on 2007-12-30. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
Coordinates: 37°07′N 3°36′W / 37.117°N 3.600°W
- All stub articles
- Articles with BNF identifiers
- Articles with J9U identifiers
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WorldCat-VIAF identifiers
- Articles with short description
- Coordinates on Wikidata
- Municipalities in the Province of Granada
- Pages using infobox settlement with no coordinates
- Province of Granada geography stubs
- Short description is different from Wikidata
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.