|Location||Ogden, Utah, United States|
|Address||3651 Wall Avenue|
|Developer||Homart Development Company|
|Management||The Woodmont Company|
|No. of stores and services||70+|
|No. of anchor tenants||5 (4 open, 1 vacant)|
|Total retail floor area||725,148 square feet (67,000 m2)|
|No. of floors||1|
Homart Development Company built Newgate Mall in 1981. Its original anchor stores were Sears and Mervyn's. Among its tenants was the first Chick-fil-A in Utah. Phar-Mor was added in February 1992, but closed only seven months later.
In 1994, Dillard's opened its second Utah store at the mall. Between then and 1995, over 100,000 square feet (9,300 m2) of retail space was added, including Victoria's Secret, Lane Bryant, Bath & Body Works, Express, Inc., Famous Footwear, B. Dalton, and Applebee's. Another new tenant in this timespan was a larger location for Quilted Bear, a consignment shop that had previously occupied a smaller store within.
A year later, the former Phar-Mor became the first Oshman's in Utah. The store became Gart Sports in 2001, Sports Authority in 2006, and DownEast Home & Clothing in 2016. A 14 screen Cinemark "Tinseltown USA" movie theater was opened in 1998 to replace the mall's aging 4 screen cinema. Although Newgate Mall initially struggled with high vacancy, the mall's occupancy was boosted in the 2000s, particularly after Ogden City Mall (now The Junction) closed. Mervyn's closed in 2008 and became Burlington Coat Factory in 2013. Sears closed in April 2018.
Discover more about History related topics
- "Mall information". General Growth Properties. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "South Jordan's First Chick-fil-A Restaurant Opening May 22". Market Wired. 20 May 2008. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "PHAR-MOR WILL OPEN 2 STORES WEDNESDAY". Deseret News. 28 February 1992. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "PHAR-MOR INC. WILL CLOSE ITS 3 UTAH STORES". Deseret News. 19 September 1992. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "Dillard's to open new store at expanded Newgate Mall". Deseret News. 20 January 1994. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "Newgate Mall making room for variety with additional 100,000 square feet". Deseret News. 16 February 1995. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "NEW TENANT AT NEWGATE MALL; QUILTED BEAR CHANGES LOCALE". Deseret News. 2 July 1995. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "Briefly". The Salt Lake Tribune. 13 July 1996. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Knudson, Max (23 February 2001). "Gart plans to buy key competitor". Deseret News. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "Newgate Mall :: 36th St. & Wall Ave. Ogden, UT 84405". webcache.googleusercontent.com. Retrieved 2016-11-11.
- Arave, Lynn (2 March 1998). "14-screen theater to open in Ogden". Deseret News. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "Newgate Mall Prospers Amid Neighbor's Slow Demise". The Salt Lake Tribune. 6 August 2001. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "New Store Opening in Old Mervyn's at Newgate". US Utah. 10 June 2013. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "Newgate Mall Sears store closing in early April". Standard-Examiner. January 4, 2018.
- 1981 establishments in Utah
- Articles with short description
- Buildings and structures in Ogden, Utah
- Coordinates on Wikidata
- Infobox mapframe without OSM relation ID on Wikidata
- Pages using the Kartographer extension
- Shopping malls established in 1981
- Shopping malls in Utah
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Tourist attractions in Ogden, Utah
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.