Newcastle is an area and electoral ward of the town of Bridgend, Wales. The area includes the medieval Newcastle Castle. The ward elects councillors to Bridgend Town Council and Bridgend County Borough Council.
Newcastle is located immediately west of Bridgend town centre and either side of Park Street. The area includes Bridgend County Borough Council headquarters next to the River Ogmore.
On Newcastle Hill overlooking the town is Newcastle's parish church, St Illtyds, which is a Grade II* listed building originating in the 14th-century. The remains of Newcastle Castle are also at the top of Newcastle Hill, believed to date from 1106.
Discover more about Description related topics
The Newcastle electoral ward is bounded by the River Ogmore to the east, Heol-y-Bardd in the south, St Illtyd's Road and Swn Cloch yr Eglwys to the north. As well as the Newcastle area it includes Brynhyfryd, Ystrad Fawr and Bryntirion Hill.
Newcastle is one of three wards to Bridgend Town Council, electing up to seven of the nineteen town councillors.
A review of the electoral wards of the county borough was launched in January 2019, including the proposal that the Newcastle ward and the neighbouring Morfa ward be merged to form a new three-councillor ward of Bridgend Central. This took effect from the 2022 local elections.
Discover more about Electoral ward related topics
- "Church of St Illtyd - A Grade II* Listed Building in Bridgend". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "Election maps". Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "Newcastle - Key Stats / Age structure". UK Census Data. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Wards and Councillors". Bridgend Town Council. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "Bridgend County Borough Council Election Results 1995-2012" (PDF). The Elections Centre. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "Consultation on changes to BCBC electoral wards". Glamorgan Gem. 28 January 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.