Multiocular O (ꙮ) is a rare glyph variant of the Cyrillic letter O. This glyph variant can be found in a single 15th century manuscript, in the Old Church Slavonic phrase "серафими многоꙮ҄читїи҄" (serafimi mnogoočitii, "many-eyed seraphim"). It was documented by Yefim Karsky from a copy of the book of Psalms from around 1429, now found in the collection of the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius.
The character was proposed for inclusion into Unicode in 2007 and incorporated as character U+A66E in Unicode version 5.1 (2008). The representative glyph had seven eyes. However, in 2021, following a tweet highlighting the character, it came to linguist Michael Everson's attention that the character in the 1429 manuscript was actually made up of ten eyes. After a 2022 proposal to change the character to reflect this, it was updated later that year for Unicode 15.0 to have ten eyes.
- Карский, Ефим (1979). Славянская кирилловская палеография. Moscow. p. 197.
- "Рукопись 308. Псалтирь. напис. 1429 (?) года". folio 243v. Archived from the original on 3 August 2021. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Славянские рукописи — Главная библиотека". Archived from the original on 3 August 2021. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- Everson, Michael; Birnbaum, David; Cleminson, Ralph; et al. (2007-03-21). "Proposal to encode additional Cyrillic characters in the BMP of the UCS" (PDF). p. 4. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-04-10. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- Compart AG (2018). "Unicode Character "ꙮ" (U+A66E)". Archived from the original on 2018-08-04. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- @etiennefd on Twitter (2020-10-31). "Happy Halloween! I feel like I have to talk about something scary.[…]". Retrieved 2022-11-02.
- "Cyrillic Extended-B; Range: A640–A69F" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2022-02-13.
- Everson, Michael. "Proposal to revise the glyph of CYRILLIC LETTER MULTIOCULAR O" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2022-03-22. Retrieved 2022-03-22.
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.