Montana State Library
|Formed||Jan 1, 1929|
|Jurisdiction||State of Montana|
|Headquarters||1201 11th Avenue|
The Montana State Library Is the official State Library of Montana located in Helena, Montana.
Official state library
The library manages the Montana Digital Library Division which includes the Natural Resource Information System (NRIS), the Natural Heritage Program, the Water Information System (WIS) a program of NRIS, and the State Publications Center (SPC) which maintains a comprehensive collection of publications by state agencies. These include Montana state agency and county government web pages and websites.  It also oversees statewide library resources, including Library Development consisting of leadership and guidance related to library programs, services, and buildings, as well as the Montana Talking Book Library (MTBL) which provides materials to the print-disabled. MTBL provides a broad range of materials to those individuals who are not able to read traditional print, as well as recording some Montana-related publications. It is governed by a seven-member State Library Commission. The State Library also oversees the Montana Shared Catalog which was created by the State Library in 2002 and currently has the catalogs of 174 libraries and library branches combined in one statewide catalog.
In June 2022, the state library unveiled its draft redesign of its logo, paid for by the library's private trust. Though the commissioners had been involved through the process of developing the logo, some commissioners then claimed without evidence that the new prism logo resembled a gay pride flag. The draft did not match either the color palette or the shape of commonly-used pride flags. After the designers slightly altered the shades of colors used in the flag to precisely match exact shades in the Montana state flag, it was reviewed in an October public meeting. In the public meeting, not a single member of the public spoke in opposition to the logo, and even an opponent of the logo admitted that the logo was representative of "joy," not the alleged political themes. The new logo was approved by a vote of 4 to 2.
Source: "Montana State Library", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, March 15th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_State_Library.
Get our FREE extension now!
Silver Bow County, Montana
Pondera County, Montana
Illinois Secretary of State
Oklahoma Corporation Commission
LGBT rights in Montana
Montana State University Library
2014 United States House of Representatives election in Montana
2020 Montana elections
West Virginia Library Association
COVID-19 pandemic in Montana
2020 Montana Senate election
Mississippi Library Commission
- ^ a b c "Overview". Montana State Library. State of Montana. Retrieved 26 November 2020.
- ^ "Archive-It - Montana State Library". archive-it.org. Retrieved 2021-03-18.
- ^ "Commission & Councils". Montana State Library. State of Montana. Retrieved 26 November 2020.
- ^ "Montana Shared Catalog". Montana State Library. State of Montana. Retrieved 26 November 2020.
- ^ Silvers, Mara (2022-07-05). "State Library Commission votes down proposed prism logo". Montana Free Press. Retrieved 2022-10-23.
- ^ a b c Silvers, Mara (2022-10-12). "Montana State Library commissioners approve updated logo". Montana Free Press. Retrieved 2022-10-23.
- ^ Heiman, Lee; Services, Montana Legislative (2013-07-05). "22-1-101. State library commission established". leg.mt.gov. Archived from the original on 2013-07-05. Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- ^ Heiman, Lee; Services, Montana Legislative (2013-07-05). "22-1-103. State library commission -- authority". leg.mt.gov. Archived from the original on 2013-07-05. Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- 1929 establishments in Montana
- All stub articles
- Articles with ISNI identifiers
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- Articles with short description
- Coordinates on Wikidata
- Helena, Montana
- Library and information science stubs
- Official website different in Wikidata and Wikipedia
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- State libraries of the United States
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.