McPherson Square station
|Location||1400 I Street, NW, Washington, D.C.|
|Owned by||Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections|| Metrobus: 3F, 3Y, 16E, 16Y, 32, 33, 36, 37, 39, 42, 43, 52, 54, 59, 80, A9, D1, D4, D6, G8, G9, S2, S9, X2|
Woodley Park–Adams Morgan–McPherson Square Metro
Loudoun County Transit
MTA Maryland Commuter Bus
|Bicycle facilities||Capital Bikeshare and 1 rack|
|Opened||July 1, 1977|
McPherson Square is a Washington Metro station in Downtown, Washington, D.C., United States. The side-platformed station is operated by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). Providing service for the Blue, Silver, and Orange Lines, the station is located between McPherson Square and Franklin Square, with two entrances on I Street at Vermont Avenue and 14th Street NW. This is the main station to access the White House, and the Vermont Avenue exit is directly underneath the Department of Veterans Affairs building.
Discover more about McPherson Square station related topics
The station opened on July 1, 1977. Its opening coincided with the completion of 11.8 miles (19.0 km) of rail between National Airport and RFK Stadium and the opening of the Arlington Cemetery, Capitol South, Crystal City, Eastern Market, Farragut West, Federal Center SW, Federal Triangle, Foggy Bottom–GWU, L'Enfant Plaza, National Airport, Pentagon, Pentagon City, Potomac Avenue, Rosslyn, Smithsonian, and Stadium–Armory stations. Orange Line service to the station began upon the line's opening on November 20, 1978.
Between January 15 to January 21, 2021, this station was closed because of security concerns due to the 2020 Inauguration.
Discover more about History related topics
|G||Street level||Exit/entrance, buses|
|M||Mezzanine||Fare control, ticket machines, station agent|
|Westbound||← toward Franconia–Springfield (Farragut West)|
← toward Ashburn (Farragut West)
← toward Vienna (Farragut West)
|Eastbound|| toward Downtown Largo (Metro Center) → |
toward New Carrollton (Metro Center) →
Discover more about Station layout related topics
Notable places nearby
- Blair House
- Department of the Treasury
- Center for American Progress
- American Constitution Society
- Hudson Institute
- Lafayette Square
- St. John's Episcopal Church
- Strayer University
- The Washington Post Headquarters
- The White House
Discover more about Notable places nearby related topics
Source: "McPherson Square station", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, February 9th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McPherson_Square_station.
Get our FREE extension now!
Foggy Bottom–GWU station
Blue Line (Washington Metro)
Gallery Place station
Virginia Square–GMU station
Farragut West station
Federal Triangle station
Arlington Cemetery station
Mount Vernon Square station
Federal Center SW station
Capitol South station
Eastern Market station
Potomac Avenue station
Minnesota Avenue station
- ^ "Rail Ridership Data Viewer". WMATA. Retrieved February 9, 2023.
- ^ Feaver, Douglas B. (July 1, 1977), "Today, Metro could be U.S. model", The Washington Post, p. A1
- ^ "Metro Facts 2017" (PDF). Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. 2017. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 2, 2018. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- ^ Staff Reporters (June 24, 1977), "Metro's newest stations: Where they are, what's nearby", The Washington Post
- ^ Eisen, Jack; Feinstein, John (November 18, 1978), "City-County fanfare opens Orange Line; Ceremonies open new Orange Line", The Washington Post, p. D1
- ^ "Metro announces Inauguration service plans, station closures | WMATA". www.wmata.com. Retrieved January 13, 2021.
- Media related to McPherson Square (WMATA station) at Wikimedia Commons
- McPherson Square (Washington Metro) is at coordinates:
- 38°54′04″N 77°02′05″W / 38.901162°N 77.034853°W Vermont Avenue Entrance
- 38°54′04″N 77°01′56″W / 38.901111°N 77.032206°W 14th Street Entrance
- Vermont Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
- 14th Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
Coordinates: 38°54′4.8″N 77°1′59.8″W / 38.901333°N 77.033278°W
- 1977 establishments in Washington, D.C.
- Articles with short description
- Commons category link from Wikidata
- Coordinates on Wikidata
- Downtown (Washington, D.C.)
- Railway stations in the United States opened in 1977
- Railway stations located underground in Washington, D.C.
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Stations on the Blue Line (Washington Metro)
- Stations on the Orange Line (Washington Metro)
- Stations on the Silver Line (Washington Metro)
- Use mdy dates from March 2018
- Washington Metro stations in Washington, D.C.
- Washington Metro stations located underground
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.