Louis Marie Adolphe Olivier Édouard Joubin (27 February 1861 in Épinal – 24 April 1935 in Paris) was a professor at the Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle in Paris. He published works on nemerteans, chaetognatha, cephalopods, and other molluscs.
He served as an assistant to Henri de Lacaze-Duthiers, subsequently becoming director of the laboratories at Banyuls-sur-Mer (1882) and Roscoff (1884). Later on, he became an instructor at the University of Rennes, and in 1903 succeeded Edmond Perrier as chaire des mollusques, des vers et des zoophytes at the Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle (from 1917 onward his title was chaire des mollusques). In 1906 he was chosen by Albert I, Prince of Monaco to be in charge of instruction at the Institut océanographique.
In 1905 he was named president of the Société zoologique de France. In 1920 he became a member of the Académie des Sciences.
Joubin's squid (Joubiniteuthis portieri) is named for him, as is Scolymastra joubini, a hexactinellid sponge whose lifespan is purportedly 10,000 years.
Discover more about Louis Joubin related topics
- Les Némertiens, 1894 - Nemerteans.
- Contribution à l'étude des Céphalopodes de l'Atlantique Nord, 1895 - Contributions to the study of cephalopods of the North Atlantic.
- Expédition antarctique française (1903-1905) : commandée par le Dr. Jean Charcot. Science naturelles: documents scientifiques. - French Antarctic Expedition (1903–05) : commanded by Jean Baptiste Charcot, Natural science: scientific documents of the expedition.
- Deuxième expédition antarctique française (1908-1910) / Sciences naturelles: documents scientifiques. - Second French Antarctic Expedition (1908–10) / Natural sciences: scientific documents of the expedition.
- La vie dans les océans, 1912 - Life in the oceans.
- Chétognathes provenant des campagnes des yachts Hirondelle et Princesse-Alice, 1885-1910 (with Louis Germain), 1916 - Chaetognatha from campaigns of the yachts Hirondelle and Princesse-Alice, 1885-1910.
- Le fond de la mer, 1920 - The bottom of the sea.
- Les métamorphoses des animaux marins, 1926 - Metamorphosis of marine animals.
- Éléments de biologie marine, 1928 - Elements of marine biology.
- Faune ichthyologique de l'Atlantique nord, 1929 - Ichthyological fauna of the North Atlantic.
- "Cephalopods from the scientific expeditions of Prince Albert I of Monaco"; published in 1995 into English.
Discover more about Written works related topics
Source: "Louis Joubin", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, March 25th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Joubin.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ Jean-Jacques Amigo, « Joubin (Louis, Marie, Adolphe, Olivier, Édouard) », in Nouveau Dictionnaire de biographies roussillonnaises, vol. 3 Sciences de la Vie et de la Terre, Perpignan, Publications de l'olivier, 2017, 915 p. (ISBN 9782908866506)
- ^  Louis Joubin - Encyclopédie Larousse
- ^ a b c Prosopo Sociétés savantes
- ^ See List of Chairs of the Muséum national d'histoire naturelle.
- ^ "Fauna - Joubin's Squid (Joubiniteuthis portieri) … A". Archived from the original on 2013-12-17. Retrieved 2012-01-08. fauna - Joubin's Squid (Joubiniteuthis portieri)
- ^  Genomics senescence, Scolymastra joubini
- ^  World Cat Identities
- ^  Google Books
- 1861 births
- 1935 deaths
- Articles with BNE identifiers
- Articles with BNF identifiers
- Articles with DSI identifiers
- Articles with DTBIO identifiers
- Articles with FAST identifiers
- Articles with GND identifiers
- Articles with ISNI identifiers
- Articles with Internet Archive links
- Articles with J9U identifiers
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with NTA identifiers
- Articles with SUDOC identifiers
- Articles with Trove identifiers
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with VcBA identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- French malacologists
- Members of the French Academy of Sciences
- National Museum of Natural History (France) people
- People from Épinal
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.