Louis B. Mayer Pictures
|Founder||Louis B. Mayer|
|Defunct||April 17, 1924|
|Fate||Merged with Metro Pictures Corporation and Goldwyn Pictures to form Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer|
|Parent||Metro Pictures Corporation|
Louis B. Mayer Pictures (or Louis B. Mayer Productions) was an American film production company of the silent era which operated from 1918 until 1924.
Founded by the New England-based theater owner Louis B. Mayer, it functioned as a high-class producer of films for the first-run market. One of the leading Mayer stars was Anita Stewart who was recruited from Vitagraph Studios. The company had a long-running distribution arrangement with First National Pictures. Mayer appointed Irving Thalberg as head of production following his stint at Universal Pictures.
In 1924, the company was part of a series of mergers by Marcus Loew that brought together Metro Pictures and Goldwyn Pictures into a single outfit MGM, which was a central major studio of the classical era. Although the new company was initially known as Metro-Goldwyn, within a year the name Mayer had been added to the title in acknowledgement of his key role in the studio.
Discover more about History related topics
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2021)
Source: "Louis B. Mayer Pictures", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, February 4th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_B._Mayer_Pictures.
Get our FREE extension now!
- Eyman, Scott. Lion of Hollywood: The Life and Legend of Louis B. Mayer. Simon and Schuster, 2008.
- Schatz, Thomas. The Genius of the System: Hollywood Filmmaking in the Studio Era. Henry Holt and Company, 2015.
- 1918 establishments in the United States
- 1924 disestablishments in the United States
- 1924 mergers and acquisitions
- All articles to be expanded
- All articles with empty sections
- All stub articles
- American film company stubs
- American film studios
- Articles to be expanded from July 2021
- Articles using small message boxes
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- Articles with empty sections from July 2021
- Articles with short description
- Film production companies of the United States
- Mass media companies disestablished in 1924
- Mass media companies established in 1918
- Short description matches Wikidata
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.