Linda Holmes (writer)
|Alma mater||Oberlin College|
Lewis & Clark Law School
Linda Holmes is an American author, cultural critic, and podcaster. She currently writes for NPR and hosts their podcast Pop Culture Happy Hour; Holmes also edits the Pop Culture Happy Hour blog on NPR.
While working for the Minnesota legislature, Holmes began writing about television and film in her free time for sites like Television Without Pity, Vulture.com and MSNBC. In 2007, she left her legal job and moved to New York City to dedicate her time to writing and criticism. One year later, she was hired to cover pop culture for NPR.
She currently writes for NPR and hosts their podcast Pop Culture Happy Hour with Stephen Thompson, Glen Weldon, and Aisha Harris. Holmes also edits the Pop Culture Happy Hour blog on NPR, which was originally called Monkey See.
In 2019, Holmes published her first novel, Evvie Drake Starts Over, which earned a starred Kirkus Reviews review and was selected by The Today Show as a summer book club pick. The novel tells the story of recently widowed Eveleth “Evvie” Drake and her unexpected friendship with Dean Tenney, former Major League pitcher.
Discover more about Career related topics
Originally from Wilmington, Delaware, Holmes attended Oberlin College from 1989 to 1993. While there, she took a class on constitutional law that inspired her to go to law school. She enrolled at Lewis & Clark Law School in Portland, Oregon, graduating in 1997 and practicing law in Minnesota until 2007.
Discover more about Personal life related topics
- Why You're Still Single. Plume, 2006. ISBN 9780452287389, OCLC 62858052
- The Best of Pop Culture Happy Hour. Highbridge Co, 2015. ISBN 9781622318698, OCLC 907156365
- Evvie Drake Starts Over: A Novel. Ballantine Books, 2019. OCLC 1104481443 (E-book). Hodder & Stoughton; paperback, 2020. ISBN 9781473679276, OCLC 1090375416.
- Flying Solo: A Novel. Ballantine Books, 2022. ISBN 9780525619277 (hardcover).
Source: "Linda Holmes (writer)", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, February 28th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Holmes_(writer).
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ "About". Linda Holmes. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- ^ a b c d "Linda Holmes '97: Pop Culture Happy Hour". law.lclark.edu. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- ^ Flotten, Diana (January 8, 2018). "Linda Holmes Leaves Law to Concentrate on Watching TV and It Works Out Great". APM Podcasts. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- ^ "Linda Holmes". NPR. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- ^ Petersen, Anne Helen (December 10, 2013). "Internet Work and Invisible Labor: An Interview With NPR's Linda Holmes". The Hairpin. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- ^ "EVVIE DRAKE STARTS OVER by Linda Holmes". March 4, 2019. Retrieved September 2, 2019.
- ^ Breen, Kerry (July 26, 2019). "12 questions to think about as you read #ReadWithJenna's July book club pick". TODAY.com. Retrieved September 2, 2019.
- ^ https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/573986/evvie-drake-starts-over-by-linda-holmes/
- ^ "Linda Holmes". LinkedIn. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- 21st-century American women writers
- All articles with bare URLs for citations
- American film critics
- American podcasters
- American television critics
- American women film critics
- American women lawyers
- American women podcasters
- Articles with J9U identifiers
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with NKC identifiers
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- Articles with bare URLs for citations from April 2022
- Articles with short description
- Lewis & Clark College alumni
- Living people
- Minnesota lawyers
- NPR personalities
- Novelists from Delaware
- Oberlin College alumni
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Use mdy dates from January 2019
- Writers from Wilmington, Delaware
- Year of birth missing (living people)
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.