|Active||21 June 2014|
|Size||about 1,000 troops|
|Part of|| United Armed Forces of Novorossiya
The "Kalmius" Brigade, a military unit of the Donetsk People's Republic, operates within the United Armed Forces of Novorossiya. Media often refer to it as a battalion of special purpose. As of the end of June 2015[update] Konstantin Kuzmin commanded the unit. The unit's name comes from the river of the same name, one of the largest rivers in Donbas. On February 16, 2015 the "Kalmius" battalion was included in the sanctions list of the European Union and of Canada. Later included in their own sanctions lists by the governments of Norway and Switzerland.
Discover more about Kalmius Brigade related topics
The "Kalmius" Battalion was established on June 21, 2014. The baptism of fire for the battalion came on 26–27 June 2014 in Donetsk, after the intervention of the Internal Troops of Ukraine. Former miners constitute the core of the Battalion, original strength being about five hundred people. The first commander was Fedor Berezin, who later became deputy of Igor Girkin.
On June 26–27, the battalion took part in an assault, which occurred without casualties; since July, the battalion was involved in the fighting near Donetsk. In August, the Battalion captured 13 Ukrainian officers, including a colonel. In January 2015, the "Kalmius" battalion did participate in battles around Debaltseve.
Discover more about History related topics
The unit's core comprises mainly volunteers; as of fall 2014 the unit had the following structure:
- Base – in Donetsk
- Dog squad
- Artillery group – armed with D-30 howitzers, SAU 2S1, MSTA-B and MLRS "Grad"
Source: "Kalmius Brigade", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, February 23rd), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmius_Brigade.
Get our FREE extension now!
93rd Mechanized Brigade (Ukraine)
2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine
Donetsk People's Republic
Russian people's militias in Ukraine
War in Donbas (2014–2022)
Ukrainian volunteer battalions
Outline of the Russo-Ukrainian War
- ^ "Артиллерия Новороссии пополнилась батареей тяжелых гаубиц" (in Russian). 22 October 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- ^ "Оперативная информация от спецподразделения "Кальмиус"" (in Russian). Archived from the original on 11 October 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- ^ "COUNCIL DECISION (CFSP) 2015/241 of 9 February 2015 amending Decision 2014/145/CFSP concerning restrictive measures in respect of actions undermining or threatening the territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence of Ukraine". EUR-Lex. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- ^ Barutciski, Milos (18 February 2015). "Canada Imposes Additional Sanctions, Including Against Rosneft". Bennet Jones Thought Network. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- ^ "Forskrift om endring i forskrift om restriktive tiltak vedrørende handlinger som undergraver eller truer Ukrainas territorielle integritet, suverenitet, uavhengighet og stabilitet - Lovdata". lovdata.no. Retrieved 2022-07-05.
- ^ "Situation en Ukraine: le Conseil fédéral complète les mesures visant à empêcher le contournement de sanctions". www.admin.ch. Retrieved 2022-07-05.
- ^ "Ополченцы заявили о захвате воинской части в Донецке" (in Russian). Lenta.ru. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- 2014 establishments in Ukraine
- All articles containing potentially dated statements
- Articles containing potentially dated statements from June 2015
- Articles with short description
- CS1 Russian-language sources (ru)
- Military of the Donetsk People's Republic
- Military units and formations established in 2014
- Paramilitary organizations based in Ukraine
- Pro-Russian militant groups
- Separatist forces of the war in Donbas
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Short description matches Wikidata
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.