(general; cable channel)
Noticiero Telemundo 20 (newscasts)
First air date
|1980 (43 years ago) as K48AL|
Former call signs
Former channel number(s)
|HAAT||577 m (1,893 ft)|
|Transmitter coordinates||32°41′48.7″N 116°56′9.2″W / 32.696861°N 116.935889°WCoordinates: 32°41′48.7″N 116°56′9.2″W / 32.696861°N 116.935889°W|
Public license information
KUAN-LD (channel 48) is a television station licensed to Poway, California, United States, serving as the San Diego-area outlet for the Spanish-language network Telemundo. It is owned and operated by NBCUniversal's Telemundo Station Group alongside NBC station KNSD (channel 39). The two stations share studios on Granite Ridge Drive in the Serra Mesa section of San Diego. Despite KUAN-LD legally holding a low-power license, it transmits using KNSD's full-power spectrum from an antenna southeast of Spring Valley. This ensures complete reception across the San Diego television market.
KUAN is known on-air as Telemundo 20; as with KNSD's main branding, it is derived from its channel 20 cable position on Charter Spectrum, Cox Communications and AT&T U-verse.
Discover more about KUAN-LD related topics
The station signed on in 1980 as K48AL, originally operating as a translator of Los Angeles–based multicultural independent KSCI for the San Diego market, airing on low-power analog channel 48. It flash-cut to digital channel 36 on June 20, 2016.
In January 2017, NBC announced that it was hiring people for KNSD with the intention of launching a new Telemundo O&O station in San Diego, replacing Tijuana, Mexico-based station XHAS-TDT (whose affiliation expired at the end of June 2017). The new Telemundo affiliate, branded as "Telemundo 20", launched on July 1 on KNSD's digital 39.20 subchannel. As with KGTV's former Azteca América affiliation using their 10.15 subchannel (which XHAS would take over), the unusual numbering was to connect to Telemundo's channel 20 cable position on Cox Communications and other pay TV providers in the area, which was transferred from XHAS. Additionally, KNSD launched TeleXitos, a Spanish equivalent to Cozi TV, on channel 39.21 the same day.
On September 12, 2017, NBCUniversal acquired KUAN from NRJ TV, LLC, the owner of KSCI, for $650,000; the sale was completed on December 21, 2017. Concurrently, KUAN entered into a channel-sharing agreement with KNSD. This was done with the separate KUAN-LD transmitter ending service, and 39.20 and 39.21 becoming identified with KUAN-LD instead and re-numbered to KUAN's channel 48.
Discover more about History related topics
KUAN broadcasts 10 hours of locally produced newscasts each week. Newscasts were launched on July 3, 2017. KUAN is one of the 11 Telemundo owned and operated stations that do not produce midday newscasts.
The station's digital signal is multiplexed:
|48.1||1080i||16:9||KUAN-LD||Main KUAN-LD programming / Telemundo|
Discover more about Technical information related topics
Source: "KUAN-LD", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, February 27th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KUAN-LD.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ License To Cover for LPTV Station Application
- ^ Anchor, Telemundo San Diego in San Diego, California - NBCUniversal Careers Archived 2017-01-17 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Form 10-K - U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- ^ Telemundo 20 San Diego News Team Announced, Lizzet Lopez and Guadalupe Venegas Named News Anchors - NBC 7 San Diego
- ^ Telemundo 20 San Diego launches on July 1 on Local Channel 20 - NBC Universal Media Village
- ^ "Station Trading Roundup: 2 Deals, $660,000". TVNewsCheck. September 26, 2017. Retrieved September 27, 2017.
- ^ Consummation Notice
- ^ Modification of a Licensed Facility for LPTV Station Application
- ^ RabbitEars TV Query for KUAN
- 1980 establishments in California
- Articles using infobox television station
- Articles with short description
- Coordinates on Wikidata
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Spanish-language television stations in California
- TeleXitos affiliates
- Telemundo Station Group
- Telemundo network affiliates
- Television channels and stations established in 1980
- Television stations in San Diego
- Webarchive template wayback links
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.