John Montague Stow
Sir John Montague Stow
|1st Governor-General of Barbados|
30 November 1966 – 18 May 1967
|Prime Minister||Errol Walton Barrow|
|Preceded by||Office Established |
Himself as Governor
|Succeeded by||Arleigh Winston Scott|
|Governor of Barbados|
8 October 1959 – 29 November 1966
|Preceded by||Robert Arundell|
|Succeeded by||Office Abolished |
Himself as Governor-General
|Commissioner of Saint Lucia|
|Monarchs||George VI |
|Preceded by||Edward Twining|
|Succeeded by||John Thorp|
|Born||3 October 1911|
Simla, Punjab Province, British Raj
|Died||16 March 1997 (aged 85)|
London, England, United Kingdom
Sir John Montague Stow GCMG KCVO (3 October 1911 – 16 March 1997) was a British colonial official who served in various roles.
The son of Indian civilian Sir Alexander Montague Stow, John Stow was born in Simla, India, and was educated at Harrow and Pembroke College, Cambridge. He joined the Colonial Administrative Service in 1934 and was posted as a cadet to Nigeria. In 1938 he was appointed administrative officer in Kenya, and was seconded to The Gambia later that year as assistant district officer.
From 1947 until 1953 he served as the British government's Commissioner of Saint Lucia. In a later role, he was the last governor of the former colony of Barbados, serving from 8 October 1959 until 29 November 1966, and following Barbados obtaining independence from the United Kingdom on 30 November 1966, Stow was appointed as the first governor-general of Barbados, a position he served until 18 May 1967. He died on 16 March 1997, aged 85.
Discover more about John Montague Stow related topics
Source: "John Montague Stow", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, March 25th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montague_Stow.
Get our FREE extension now!
Governor-General of Australia
Governor of Hong Kong
Prime Minister of Barbados
John McColl (British Army officer)
List of governors of Barbados
Gilbert Thomas Carter
John Lorimer (British Army officer)
List of heads of state of Barbados
- ^ 
- ^ Ross, Martha; Spuler, Bertold (4 December 2013). Profile of Sir John Montague Stow. ISBN 9780859350563. Retrieved 11 July 2019.
- ^ The Ideal Governor General Part IV The Caribbean Experience Archived 2 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine, 12 May 2014, The Nassau Guardian, The Bahamas.
- ^ STOW, Sir John Montague, Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2015 (online edition, Oxford University Press, 2014)
- ^ "Countries Ba-Bo". Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Portraits of Sir John Montague Stow at the National Portrait Gallery, London
- Barbados, Worldstatesmen
- Photo Archived 31 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine, Barbados Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation
- 1911 births
- 1997 deaths
- All articles with dead external links
- All stub articles
- Alumni of Pembroke College, Cambridge
- Articles with FAST identifiers
- Articles with GND identifiers
- Articles with ISNI identifiers
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- Articles with dead external links from July 2019
- British government biography stubs
- Colonial Administrative Service officers
- Governors-General of Barbados
- Governors of Barbados
- Governors of British Saint Lucia
- Knights Commander of the Royal Victorian Order
- Knights Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George
- People educated at Harrow School
- Use British English from August 2015
- Use dmy dates from August 2015
- Webarchive template wayback links
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.