|Coordinates: 57°45′N 14°12′E / 57.75°N 14.2°ECoordinates: 57°45′N 14°12′E / 57.75°N 14.2°E|
|• Governor||Anneli Wirtén (acting)|
|• Council||Landstinget i Jönköpings län|
|• Total||10,495.1 km2 (4,052.2 sq mi)|
(September 30, 2017)
|• Density||34/km2 (88/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE-F|
|GDP/ Nominal||SEK 79,761 million (2004)|
|GDP per capita||SEK 243,000|
Jönköping County (Swedish: Jönköpings län) is a county or län in southern Sweden. It borders the counties of Halland, Västra Götaland, Östergötland, Kalmar and Kronoberg. The total county population was 356,291 inhabitants in September 2017. The capital and largest city is Jönköping. About one quarter of the total county population lives in the combined Jönköping-Huskvarna urban area around the southern point of Lake Vättern.
Discover more about Jönköping County related topics
Provinces and administrative history
Despite being commonly used to indicate the geographical, cultural and historical region, the larger historical province (landskap) of Småland, which most of Jönköping County is part of, has no administrative or political significance today. Jönköping County has existed as an administrative division since the 17th century, and constitutes the north-western part of Småland, the other parts being Kronoberg County in the south-west and Kalmar County in the east. Jönköping County was periodically united with neighbouring Kronoberg County in the single Jönköping and Kronoberg County until 1687. Until the 18th century the administration was housed in the Renaissance fortress at Jönköping Castle, which was demolished in the 19th century; the former site of the castle is still the site of the County Administrative Board building and the Governor's residence.
Habo Municipality and Mullsjö Municipality, from the south-eastern part of the historical province of Västergötland, are since the dissolution of Skaraborg County in 1998 also part of Jönköping County; both municipalities joined Jönköping County as the results of local referendums in 1997.
Discover more about Provinces and administrative history related topics
The main aim of the County Administrative Board is to fulfill the goals set in national politics by the Riksdag and the Government, to coordinate the interests and promote the development of the county, to establish regional goals and safeguard the due process of law in the handling of each case. The County Administrative Board is a Government Agency headed by a Governor. The seat of residence for the Governor or Landshövding is the city of Jönköping. See the list of Jönköping Governors.
Discover more about Administration related topics
The main responsibilities of the County Council of Jönköping, or Landstinget i Jönköpings län, are the regional public healthcare system and public transport. The County Council Assembly (landstingsfullmäktige), which is the elected body for regional municipal issues, is elected every four years concurrently with the Riksdag elections.
The county's best-known parliamentary representative was the late Olof Palme, leader of the Swedish Social Democratic Party from 1969 to 1986, and twice Prime Minister of Sweden from 1969 to 1976 and from 1982 to 1986.
Jönköping County is the strongest electoral region of the Christian Democrats, who traditionally have a large following among members of evangelical churches in the region. The County Council Assembly and most of the municipalities in the county are governed by liberal-conservative, center-right coalitions. The Social Democrats have historically been strong in mill towns and industrial districts of Jönköping County.
Current representation in the Riksdag (2018–2022)
|252||Peter Petersson||Social Democrats|
|290||Carina Ödebrink||Social Democrats|
|288||Johanna Haraldsson||Social Democrats|
|253||Jimmie Åkesson||Sweden Democrats||Party leader|
|327||Angelica Lundberg||Sweden Democrats|
|255||Mats Green||Moderate Party|
|183||Helena Bouveng||Moderate Party|
|254||Andreas Carlson||Christian Democrats|
|291||Acko Ankarberg Johansson||Christian Democrats|
|218||Annie Lööf||Centre Party||Party leader|
|326||Ciczie Weidby||Left Party|
|219||Emma Carlsson Löfdahl||Liberals||Left the party in 2019|
|289||Emma Hult||Green Party|
Discover more about Politics related topics
The table details all Riksdag election results of Jönköping County since the unicameral era began in 1970. The blocs denote which party would support the Prime Minister or the lead opposition party towards the end of the elected parliament.
Discover more about Riksdag elections related topics
1970 Swedish general election
Left Party (Sweden)
Green Party (Sweden)
Centre Party (Sweden)
Christian Democrats (Sweden)
1973 Swedish general election
1976 Swedish general election
1979 Swedish general election
1982 Swedish general election
1985 Swedish general election
1988 Swedish general election
1991 Swedish general election
The present acting Governor (landshövding) of Jönköping County is Anneli Wirtén.
Discover more about Municipalities related topics
Localities in order of size
The ten most populous localities of Jönköping County in 2020:
SCB have collected statistics on backgrounds of residents since 2002. These tables consist of all who have two foreign-born parents or are born abroad themselves. The chart lists election years and the last year on record alone.
|Source: SCB |
Discover more about Localities in order of size related topics
Jönköping County was formally granted its arms in 1942. By custom it used a combination of the lesser state arms of Sweden and the arms for the town of Jönköping. Blazon for the town of Jönköping: "Gules, a Castle with three towers Argent massoned windowed and gated Sable issuant from a Base wavy Azure".
Source: "Jönköping County", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, January 26th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jönköping_County.
Get our FREE extension now!
References and notes
- ^ "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 30 september 2017 och befolkningsförändringar 1 juli–30 september 2017. Totalt". Statistics Sweden. 2017-11-08. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- ^ "Riksdagsvalet 1970" (PDF). SCB. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- ^ "Riksdagsvalet 1973" (PDF) (in Swedish). SCB. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Riksdagsvalet 1976" (PDF) (in Swedish). SCB. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Riksdagsvalet 1979" (PDF) (in Swedish). SCB. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Riksdagsvalet 1982)" (PDF) (in Swedish). SCB. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Riksdagsvalet 1985" (PDF) (in Swedish). SCB. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Riksdagsvalet 1988)" (PDF) (in Swedish). SCB. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Riksdagsvalet 1991" (PDF) (in Swedish). SCB. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Riksdagsvalet 1994" (PDF) (in Swedish). SCB. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Riksdagsvalet 1998" (PDF) (in Swedish). SCB. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Valresultat Riksdag 2002" (in Swedish). Valmyndigheten. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Allmänna val 17 september 2006" (in Swedish). Valmyndigheten. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Röster - Val 2010" (in Swedish). Valmyndigheten. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Röster - Val 2014" (in Swedish). Valmyndigheten. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Röster - Val 2018" (in Swedish). Valmyndigheten. Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- ^ "Valpresentation". resultat.val.se (in Swedish). Retrieved 2023-01-26.
- ^ "Tätorter 2010 (Localities 2010)". Statistics Sweden (in Swedish). 2010. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- ^ a b "PxWeb - välj variabler och värden" (in Swedish). SCB. Retrieved 11 August 2020.
- 1687 establishments in Sweden
- Articles containing Swedish-language text
- Articles with GND identifiers
- Articles with J9U identifiers
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with MusicBrainz area identifiers
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- Articles with short description
- CS1 Swedish-language sources (sv)
- Commons category link is on Wikidata
- Coordinates on Wikidata
- Counties of Sweden
- Jönköping County
- Pages using infobox settlement with bad settlement type
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- States and territories established in 1687
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.