In the Eye of the Storm (Roger Hodgson album)
|In the Eye of the Storm|
|Studio album by|
|Released||October 1984 (LP); December 7, 1984 (CD)|
|Recorded||1983-84, Nevada City, California|
|Genre||Pop rock, progressive pop, soft rock|
|Roger Hodgson chronology|
|Singles from In the Eye of the Storm|
In the Eye of the Storm is the first solo album by former Supertramp member Roger Hodgson. Some of its songs (e.g. "Hooked on a Problem" and "Only Because of You") were initially written and recorded for Supertramp's previous album ...Famous Last Words..., but not released.
The album's first single was the four-minute edit of "Had a Dream (Sleeping with the Enemy)", which peaked at number 48 on the Billboard Hot 100. The follow-up single, a four-minute edit of "In Jeopardy", was a minor hit, peaking at number 30 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart but failing to crack the Billboard Hot 100. The album itself was only moderately successful, stalling at number 46 on the Billboard album chart and only reaching number 70 on the UK Albums Chart. It performed far better in Canada, going platinum within a month of its release. It also enjoyed success in Australia, hitting number 23 on the album charts as "Had a Dream (Sleeping with the Enemy)" peaked at number 21. "Lovers in the Wind" became a hit in the Philippines.
A sticker affixed to the cover cellophane of the album name-dropped both the album's two singles and "Hooked on a Problem", indicating that "Hooked" may have been intended for a single release at some point.
Discover more about Overview related topics
The album received a positive review from AllMusic, who stated that the album's key quality is that Hodgson plays the vast majority of the instruments himself. They also noted that though the music itself lacks any progressive rock elements, "The spirit of traditional progressive rock experimentation is alive on this album; five of the seven songs exceed six minutes."
All songs written and arranged by Roger Hodgson.
- "Had a Dream (Sleeping with the Enemy)" (8:27)
- "In Jeopardy" (5:59)
- "Lovers in the Wind" (4:11)
- "Hooked on a Problem" (5:10)
- "Give Me Love, Give Me Life" (7:33)
- "I'm Not Afraid" (7:03)
- "Only Because of You" (8:40)
- Roger Hodgson - guitars, keyboards, bass, drums, lead and backing vocals
- Michael Shrieve - drums (tracks 1, 2, 5-7)
- Ken Allardyce - harmonica (track 6), additional vocals (tracks 2, 3, 5)
- Jimmy Johnson - fretless bass (tracks 3, 7)
- Claire Diament - vocals (track 7)
- Scott Page - saxophone (track 4)
- Written, arranged and produced by Roger Hodgson
- Recorded at Unicorn Studios, Nevada City, California.
- Recording engineers: Scott Litt & James Farber
- Assistant recording engineer: Ken Allardyce
- Technical assistance: Chris Amson
- Mixed at Power Station, New York
- Mixing engineer: James Farber
- Assistant mixing engineers: Ken Allardyce & Malcolm Pollack
- Mastered at Masterdisk, New York
- Mastering: Howie Weinberg
- Digitally remastered by Andrew Garver at A&M Mastering Studios, Hollywood, CA.
- Special thanks to Yamaha and Skip's Music, Sacramento
- Roger Hodgson represented by Doug Pringle
The following inscription is printed inside the CD booklet:
I'd like to thank all those who weathered the storm with me, especially Doug Pringle and Ken Allardyce, for their musical and moral support.
Album – Billboard (United States)
|1984||Australia (Kent Music Report)||23|
Source: "In the Eye of the Storm (Roger Hodgson album)", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, February 1st), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Eye_of_the_Storm_(Roger_Hodgson_album).
Get our FREE extension now!
Breakfast in America
Crime of the Century (album)
Crisis? What Crisis?
Even in the Quietest Moments...
Paris (Supertramp album)
...Famous Last Words...
Brother Where You Bound
Book of Dreams
Breakfast in America (song)
Dreamer (Supertramp song)
Give a Little Bit
It's Raining Again
Cannonball (Supertramp song)
- ^ a b Melhuish, Martin (1986). The Supertramp Book. Toronto, Canada: Omnibus Press. p. 189. ISBN 0-9691272-2-7.
- ^ "Breakfast In Spain - Roger Hodgson and Supertramp website - ROGER HODGSON, Conversation in DPRP, 3rd Dec 2005". breakfastinspain.com. Retrieved 9 October 2021.
- ^ "Had a Dream" chart history, Billboard.com. Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- ^ a b In the Eye of the Storm in the Billboard charts, Allmusic. Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- ^ Roger Hodgson in the UK Charts, The Official Charts. Retrieved August 9, 2011.
- ^ Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- ^ a b In the Eye of the Storm at AllMusic
- ^ Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 140. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- 1984 debut albums
- A&M Records albums
- Album articles lacking alt text for covers
- Albums produced by Roger Hodgson
- Albums recorded in a home studio
- Articles with MusicBrainz release group identifiers
- Articles with hAudio microformats
- Articles with short description
- Roger Hodgson albums
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Use dmy dates from April 2022
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.