|Builder||Collingwood Shipyards Ltd., Collingwood, Ontario, Canada|
|Launched||31 October 1942|
|Fate||Transferred to the United States Navy|
|Acquired||7 March 1943|
|Fate||Transferred to the Royal Navy|
|Commissioned||31 May 1943|
|Identification||Pennant number: K 279|
|Fate||Sold commercial 1950, scrapped 1 April 1966|
|Class and type||Flower-class corvette|
|Displacement||1,375 long tons (1,397 t)|
|Length||205 ft (62 m)|
|Beam||33 ft (10 m)|
|Draft||14 ft 7 in (4.45 m)|
|Speed||16.5 kn (19.0 mph; 30.6 km/h)|
HMS Dittany was a Flower-class corvette of the British Royal Navy during the Second World War.
On 14 August 1942, the name Beacon was approved for PG 88, a modified Flower-class corvette being built at Collingwood, Ontario, Canada. Records indicate that Beacon was to have been accepted under "reverse lend lease", commissioned in Canada, and then taken to the Boston Navy Yard for outfitting. Assigned, first, to the United Kingdom on 30 January 1943, but reassigned to the US Navy on 7 March 1943, she was reassigned again to the Royal Navy on 31 May 1943, and commissioned as HMS Dittany, her original British name. She served under that name for the rest of the war.
Discover more about HMS Dittany related topics
Source: "HMS Dittany", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, January 17th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dittany.
Get our FREE extension now!
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Gunboat Photo Archive - HMS Dittany (K 279) ex-USS Beacon (PG 88) ex-HMS Dittany (K 279)
- HMS Dittany (K 279) at uboat.net
- 1942 ships
- Action-class gunboats
- Flower-class corvettes of the Royal Navy
- Ship infoboxes without an image
- Ships built in Collingwood, Ontario
- Use British English from January 2018
- Use dmy dates from January 2018
- Wikipedia articles incorporating text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
- World War II naval ships of the United States
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.