|First appearance||The Incredible Hulk vol. 3 #17|
|Created by||Paul Jenkins|
|Alter ego||Benjamin "Benny" Tibbits|
|Team affiliations||U.S. Army|
|Abilities||Superhuman strength, stamina and durability|
Regenerative healing factor
This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's deletion discussion page.
Flux is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. He was one of the Hulk's enemies.
Flux first appeared in Incredible Hulk vol. 3 #17 and was created by Paul Jenkins and Ron Garney.
Fictional character biography
Private Benjamin "Benny" Tibbets was a Private First Class in the United States Army and a soldier with unresolved mother issues. He, along with a platoon of soldiers, were exposed to a gamma bomb by General Ryker, who wished to test its effects on humans. Tibbets was the sole survivor. He was transformed into a Hulk-like creature with superhuman strength. The only differences were that Tibbets, nicknamed Flux, looked more misshapen, his forehead and joints significantly more pronounced, and his transformation was more erratic, parts of him sometimes transforming while the rest of him remained human. Convinced by Ryker that Bruce Banner was responsible for his condition, and had sold gamma technology to the Iraqis, Flux was sent after the Hulk, but the fight proved one-sided and Banner was able to talk him down. Tibbets underwent psychiatric evaluation thanks to Doc Samson, but he was subsequently recaptured and broken by Ryker. Regressed to a childlike mentality and vocabulary, apparently perceiving Ryker as his 'mommy', Flux was once again pitted against the Hulk, but the fight ended when General Ross forced Ryker to stand down. Without Ryker's commands, Flux stopped fighting and broke down, reverting to Benny as he wept for his mother.
Recently, Flux was revealed to be in A.I.M.'s custody, who experimented on him. However, he was killed by Grey of the Gamma Corps during a raid on the A.I.M. base.
During the Damnation storyline, Flux was cast down into Hell after his death and is one of the damned souls who Johnny Blaze and Zarathos encounter there alongside Elephantine, a Jack O'Lantern, and Richard Fisk.
Discover more about Fictional character biography related topics
Powers and abilities
Like the Hulk, Flux's abilities stemmed from gamma irradiation. They included superhuman strength, stamina and durability, and a regenerative healing factor. Unlike the Hulk, he was unable to become stronger as he became angrier. It is unknown whether he had the ability to jump vast distances like the Hulk.
In other media
- The Benjamin Tibbets version of Flux appears in the Hulk video game adaption, voiced by Lee Tockar. Flux appears as one of the Hulk's opponents, challenging the Hulk when he attempts to destroy a force field generator keeping him confined in a military base. He seems to share the backstory of the comic book version, but no reference is made to the specific details of his origin, although it's implied to be the same. After he is defeated, he is thrown into the force field generator and is severely injured. At the end of the game, he is seen in a base where he is being treated from the injuries he sustained under General Ryker's care.
Source: "Flux (comics)", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, August 9th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_(comics).
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ DeFalco, Tom; Sanderson, Peter; Brevoort, Tom; Teitelbaum, Michael; Wallace, Daniel; Darling, Andrew; Forbeck, Matt; Cowsill, Alan; Bray, Adam (2019). The Marvel Encyclopedia. DK Publishing. p. 138. ISBN 978-1-4654-7890-0.
- ^ The Incredible Hulk vol. 3 #17. Marvel Comics.
- ^ The Incredible Hulk vol. 3 #18-19. Marvel Comics.
- ^ Gamma Corps #1-5. Marvel Comics.
- ^ Christopher Sebela (w), Phil Noto (p), Phil Noto (i), Phil Noto (col), VC's Travis Lanham (let), Kathleen Wisneski (ed). Damnation: Johnny Blaze - Ghost Rider #1 (28 March 2018), United States: Marvel Comics
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.