Number of employees
Farmcare Trading Limited is the largest lowland farming organisation in the United Kingdom. Farmcare traded as The Co-operative Farms while a subsidiary of The Co-operative Group until it was sold to the Wellcome Trust in 2014.
Discover more about Farmcare related topics
The Co-operative Farms
The first farm was acquired at Roden, Shropshire in 1896 in order to supply potatoes to local societies' stores. By 1918, the then Co-operative Wholesale Society already farmed a total of 32,648 acres (13,212 ha) across England.
Following the merger of CWS and Co-operative Retail Services in 2001, CWS Agriculture became Farmcare Limited. It was rebranded as The Co-operative Farms in 2007.
On 4 August 2014, the business was sold to the Wellcome Trust for £249 million, to reduce The Co-operative Group's debt following its financial crisis in 2013. At the time of the sale, The Co-operative Farms owned 39,533 acres (15,998 ha) of land organised as 15 farms, and more than 100 residential and 27 commercial properties.
Discover more about History related topics
Source: "Farmcare", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, November 19th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmcare.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ Registered under the Industrial and Provident Societies Act 1965, No. 28966R
- ^ "Farmcare builds on its own identity following Co-op sell off". Farmers Guardian. 31 October 2014. Archived from the original on 22 January 2015. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- ^ The foundations Archived 2009-03-21 at the Wayback Machine The Co-operative Farms (retrieved 21 August 2009)
- ^ The war years Archived 2009-03-21 at the Wayback Machine The Co-operative Farms (retrieved 21 August 2009)
- ^ Mutuals Public Register Financial Services Authority (retrieved 21 August 2009)
- ^ "Wellcome Trust acquires the Co-operative Group's farms business for £249 million". Archived from the original on 2016-04-23. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- ^ "Co-op sells farms business to Wellcome Trust for £249m". BBC. 4 August 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.