Daisy May Cooper
Daisy May Cooper
|Born||1 August 1986|
Cirencester, Gloucestershire, England
|Alma mater||Royal Academy of Dramatic Art|
(m. 2019; sep. 2021)
|Relatives||Charlie Cooper (younger brother)|
Trevor Cooper (uncle)
Daisy May Cooper (born 1 August 1986) is an English actress and writer. She won the 2018 BAFTA TV Award for Best Female Comedy Performance for playing Kerry Mucklowe in the BBC Three series This Country, which she co-created and co-wrote with her younger brother, Charlie Cooper.
Discover more about Daisy May Cooper related topics
Early life and education
Cooper was born in Cirencester, Gloucestershire, in 1986 and is the elder of two children. Her brother, Charlie Cooper, is also an actor and writer. She attended Cirencester Deer Park School, followed by drama school at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.
Discover more about Early life and education related topics
After one role as a young mother in ITV series Doc Martin she returned to the West Country, working as a cleaner with her brother Charlie. For a while the siblings lived together – their experiences would later form part of the writings for This Country.
In 2014, she landed the role of PC Garvey in the TV series The Wrong Mans. In the same year, a pilot based on the Coopers' initial series pitch had been shot for ITV as the (never released) film Kerry, setting the basis for This Country.
She wrote and starred with her brother, Charlie, in the BBC Three comedy series This Country, for which she won a TV BAFTA award for Best Female Comedy Performance in 2018. Due to the success of the first series of This Country, a second series was commissioned and aired on BBC Three in February 2018. A third series aired in 2020.
In 2019, she played Peggotty in The Personal History of David Copperfield and in 2020, she had a part in Armando Iannucci's HBO space comedy Avenue 5. She also appeared with her father, Paul, on Celebrity Gogglebox. On 29 July 2020, Cooper took part in the tenth series of Taskmaster. In 2022 she played one of the two lead characters in the television sitcom The Witchfinder.
In 2023, she participated as "Otter" on the fourth series of The Masked Singer.
Discover more about Career related topics
Cooper married her long-term partner, Will Weston, on 21 September 2019. The couple have two children, a daughter, Pip and a son born in October 2020, named Jack Michael Weston, in honour of her late friend and This Country co-star, Michael Sleggs, who played the dull friend of Kurtan and Kerry, Michael ‘Slugs’ Slugett. Michael Sleggs died in 2019, age 33, after battling terminal cancer. In July 2021, it was reported that Cooper had separated from her husband, 10 months after the birth of her son.
|2011||Doc Martin||Young Mum||1 episode (Series 5 Episode 5, Remember Me)|
|2014||The Wrong Mans||PC Garvey||2 episodes|
|2017–2020||This Country||Kerry Mucklowe||Main role; also co-writer and creator|
|2019||The Personal History of David Copperfield||Peggotty||Film|
|2020-2022||Avenue 5||Sarah (season 1); Zarah (Season 2)||Recurring role; teleplay & writer (episode 7)|
|2020||8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown||Herself||Series 20 (episode 3)|
|2021-2022||Never Mind the Buzzcocks||Herself (Team Captain)||Series 29 & 30|
|2022||RuPaul's Drag Race: UK vs the World||Herself||Guest judge|
|2022||The Witchfinder||Thomasine Gooch||Appears in all six episodes|
|2022||Am I Being Unreasonable?||Nic||Main role; also co-writer and creator|
|2023||The Masked Singer||Otter/Herself||Unmasked in episode 6|
|2023||Rain Dogs||Costello||Main role|
|2023||Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway||Herself||Star Guest Announcer (Series 19 Episode 3)|
Discover more about Filmography related topics
The Personal History of David Copperfield
Taskmaster (TV series)
8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown
Never Mind the Buzzcocks
RuPaul's Drag Race: UK vs the World
Am I Being Unreasonable?
The Masked Singer (British TV series)
Rain Dogs (TV series)
Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway
Source: "Daisy May Cooper", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, March 13th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_May_Cooper.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ "EXCLUSIVE: Cirencester siblings Daisy and Charlie Cooper talk about their new BBC Three show This Country". Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard. 17 February 2017. Archived from the original on 18 March 2018. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- ^ "Daisy-May Cooper". RADA. Archived from the original on 1 April 2018. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- ^ a b c Wollaston, Sam (18 December 2018). "What happened next? The stars of This Country: 'Success? I wish that showed up on my bloody bank balance'". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 30 July 2020. Retrieved 5 August 2020.
- ^ Harrison, Elle (16 February 2020). "Daisy May and Charlie Cooper: 'We had nothing before This Country. It was humiliating... we couldn't even afford McDonald's'". Independent. Archived from the original on 17 February 2020. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- ^ Yeates, Cydney (12 August 2020). "This Country's Kerry and Kurtan were 'like Glee characters' in binned pilot". Metro. Archived from the original on 9 July 2021. Retrieved 9 July 2021.
- ^ Hawksley, Rupert (13 March 2017). "Is BBC Three 'mockumentary' This Country the best British comedy since The Office?". The Daily Telegraph. Archived from the original on 15 December 2019. Retrieved 10 December 2019.
- ^ Lewis, Rebecca (14 May 2018). "Daisy May Cooper accepts TV Bafta barefoot and in a Swindon Town FC dress". METRO. Archived from the original on 29 July 2020. Retrieved 29 July 2020.
- ^ Mangan, Lucy (17 February 2020). "This Country review – farewell to TV's favourite bumpkins". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 30 June 2020. Retrieved 5 August 2020.
- ^ a b Griffiths, Emily (17 July 2020). "Who is Daisy May Cooper? Meet Celebrity Gogglebox's newest famous face". HELLO!. Archived from the original on 7 August 2020. Retrieved 29 July 2020.
- ^ Lewis, Isobel (29 July 2020). "Taskmaster season 10: Daisy May Cooper joins Greg Davies game show on new Channel 4 home". Independent. Archived from the original on 31 July 2020. Retrieved 2 August 2020.
- ^ a b Allday, Jasmine (4 February 2023). "Masked Singer unveils Otter as Daisy May Cooper in second exit tonight". Daily Mirror. Archived from the original on 7 February 2023. Retrieved 7 February 2023.
- ^ Lewis, Isobel (22 September 2019). "This Country's Daisy May Cooper marries Will Weston after wedding tribute to Michael Sleggs". METRO. Archived from the original on 29 July 2020. Retrieved 29 July 2020.
- ^ "This Country star Daisy May Cooper shares baby news". Evening Express. Press Association. 1 September 2020. Archived from the original on 1 September 2020. Retrieved 1 September 2020.
- ^ Kelly, Emma (21 July 2021). "Daisy May Cooper 'splits from husband Will' after nearly two years of marriage". Metro. Archived from the original on 26 July 2021. Retrieved 26 July 2021.
- ^ Brocklehurst, Harrison (12 January 2022). "Here's everything we know so far about RuPaul's Drag Race: UK Versus The World". The Tab. Archived from the original on 12 January 2022. Retrieved 12 January 2022.
- ^ "First look image and casting confirmed for new BBC comedy The Witchfinder". bbc.co.uk/mediacentre. Archived from the original on 16 February 2022. Retrieved 18 February 2022.
- ^ Brocklehurst, Harrison (13 February 2022). "Title, first look and further casting announced for new comedy thriller Am I Being Unreasonable? starring Daisy May Cooper and Selin Hizli". bbc.co.uk/mediacentre. Archived from the original on 9 February 2022. Retrieved 9 February 2022.
- 1986 births
- 21st-century English actresses
- AC with 0 elements
- Actresses from Gloucestershire
- Alumni of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art
- Articles with hCards
- Articles with short description
- Best Female Comedy Performance BAFTA Award (television) winners
- English television actresses
- Living people
- People from Cirencester
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Use dmy dates from December 2019
- WFTV Award winners
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.