|Past members||Sue Johnson|
Coco's Lunch is an a cappella musical group based in Melbourne, Australia. The group was founded in 1994 by vocalists and multi-instrumentalists Lisa Young (voice, percussion) and Sue Johnson (voice, percussion), with Nicola Eveleigh (voice, percussion, flute), Jaqueline Gawler (voice, percussion), and Gabrielle MacGregor (voice, percussion). The group's sound is influenced by jazz, blues, classical, African and Carnatic traditions, and has been compared to artists such as Sweet Honey in the Rock and Bobby McFerrin.
In 2003, Coco's Lunch won the award for "Best Folk/World Song" at the Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards for "Thulele Mama Ya", from the album A Whole New Way of Getting Dressed, which in turn was runner-up for the "Best Folk/World Album" category. In the same year, their song "All the Wild Wonders", written by Sue Johnson in collaboration with author Elizabeth Honey, was nominated for the category "Most Performed Jazz Work" in the APRA Music Awards of 2003.
Coco's Lunch received nominations at the ARIA Music Awards of 2007 in the category Best Children's Album for their album Rat Trap Snap and in the category Best World Music Album for their album Blueprint. In 2015, they won the "Best Song Composed or Originally Performed by (OPB) an AUS/NZ" category of the A Cappella Recording Awards, presented by Vocal Australia, for Lisa Young's song "Other Plans", which was also nominated for the category "Best Jazz Song".
- Jacqueline Gawler
- Emma Gilmartin
- Gabrielle MacGregor
- Lisa Young
- Sue Johnson
- Nicola Eveleigh
- Libby O'Donovan
- Annemarie Sharry
- Miriam Crellin
|Raise The Tender Heart||
|Wally Wombat Shuffle||
|A Whole New Way of Getting Dressed||
|Rat Trap Snap||
|I Wanna Be A Mermaid||
Awards and nominations
ARIA Music Awards
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result||Ref.|
|2007||Blueprint||ARIA Award for Best World Music Album||Nominated|||
|2007||Rat Trap Snap||ARIA Award for Best Children's Album||Nominated|
Discover more about Awards and nominations related topics
John Butler Trio
The Idea of North
List of awards and nominations received by Crowded House
List of awards and nominations received by Silverchair
List of awards and nominations received by Paul Kelly
The Temper Trap
The Honeymoon Is Over
- Alexander, Deepa (14 November 2013). "United in Song". The Hindu. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "ARIA Awards". ARIA. 2007. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Most Performed Jazz Work". APRA. 2003. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- "2003 Contemporary A Cappella Recording Award Winners". Contemporary A Cappella Society. 2003. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Winners - AUSACA: PLAY A Cappella Recording Awards". Vocal Australia. 14 September 2015. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- Young, Lisa (6 October 1999). "Coco's Lunch: Invisible Rhythm". 'Mixdown' Monthly (Interview). Interviewed by Andrian Pertout. Melbourne. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- 1994 establishments in Australia
- Articles with hCards
- Australian vocal groups
- Harv and Sfn no-target errors
- Infobox musical artist with missing or invalid Background field
- Musical groups established in 1994
- Musical groups from Melbourne
- Professional a cappella groups
- Use dmy dates from February 2021
- Vocal quintets
- Women's musical groups
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.