Central Illinois Collegiate League
|No. of teams||5 in final season|
|Official website||Official website|
The Central Illinois Collegiate League (CICL) was a collegiate wooden bat summer baseball league. It was composed of five teams from Illinois and Indiana. The CICL was founded in 1963 as a charter member of National Collegiate Athletic Association certified summer baseball. Although the NCAA dropped Summer baseball program in 2005, The CICL is one of ten summer collegiate baseball leagues affiliated with the National Association of Summer Collegiate Baseball (NASCB), which now takes over the duties of the NCAA and follows all NCAA requirements. The league was also is one of four summer college baseball leagues supported by Major League Baseball.
The Springfield Sliders ran away with the CICL's final Championship Title. The Sliders won the First Half, Regular Season and Playoff Championship. The 2008 season was the inaugural season for the Sliders and the final season of the CICL.
On November 11, 2008, the CICL announced it was merging with the Prospect League.
Discover more about Central Illinois Collegiate League related topics
All-Time teams list
- Bloomington Bobcats (1963–79)
- Bluff City Bombers (Alton, Illinois) (1998–2004)
- Champaign County Colts (1990–96)
- Champaign-Urbana Colts (1963–64)
- Charleston-Mattoon (1972–79)
- Danville Dans (1980–81, 1989-08)
- Decatur Blues (1986–2003)
- Dubois County Bombers (Huntingburg, Indiana) (2005–08)
- DuPage Dragons (2005–08)
- East Peoria Scrappers (2005)
- Fairview Heights Mets (1987–94)
- Galesburg Pioneers (1963–82, 2004–06)
- Jacksonville Bullets (1986)
- Lincoln Railsplitters (1963–68, 1988–90)
- Macomb Macs (1969–74)
- Metro Miners (Edwardsville, Illinois) (1985)
- Peoria Pacers (1963–84)
- Quincy Gems (1997–2008)
- Quincy Rivermen (1974–88)
- Springfield Capitals (1963–77)
- Springfield Rifles (1983–2006)
- Springfield Sliders (2008)
- Twin City Stars (Normal, Illinois) (1982–2006)
The Hannibal Cavemen were set to join the CICL for the 2009 season, but joined the Prospect League along with the rest of the CICL roster.
Discover more about All-Time teams list related topics
This is a list of some players that played in the Central Illinois Collegiate League:
Baseball Hall of Fame alumni
- Bob Brenly
- Neal Cotts
- Joe Girardi
- Ryan Howard
- Roger McDowell
- Keith Moreland
- Joe Niekro
- Jon Papelbon
- Jack Perconte
- Dan Quisenberry
- Rick Reuschel
A list of all players that have made appearances on major league ballclubs can be accessed on the CICL website.
Discover more about Notable alumni related topics
Source: "Central Illinois Collegiate League", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, July 9th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Illinois_Collegiate_League.
Get our FREE extension now!
- All articles with dead external links
- Articles with dead external links from November 2016
- Articles with permanently dead external links
- Baseball leagues in Illinois
- Baseball leagues in Indiana
- College baseball leagues in the United States
- Organizations disestablished in 2008
- Sports organizations established in 1963
- Summer baseball leagues
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.