Castle Hill Productions
|Fate||Sold to Westchester Films (later purchased by Shout! Factory)|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2019)
Castle Hill Productions was an independent television and film distribution company handling classic and independent films whose library spans eight decades.
Founded in 1978 by Julian Schlossberg, Castle Hill Productions revived and restored over 200 classic motion pictures, many of which were originally United Artists releases and inherited from the family and/or estates of the films' original producers under the Caidin Film Company.
As the company grew, Castle Hill acquired the rights to many films by John Cassavetes, such as Faces and A Woman Under the Influence. Both Schlossberg and Gena Rowlands (Cassavetes' widow), through their company, Faces Distribution, have worked hard to revive the films for today's audiences in order for them to better appreciate the late director's work.
Castle Hill also bought the rights to many of the films of Elia Kazan and Orson Welles. In addition to their classic films, the company also distributed contemporary films (usually up to ten a year), and has been involved in in-house production, creating documentaries on filmmakers and news events.
Discover more about History related topics
Closure and holdings
In 2009, Castle Hill closed. Most of their holdings sold to another independent company, Westchester Films, managed by Schlossberg.
Most distribution rights to the Castle Hill library are handled by either Warner Bros., Criterion (via Janus Films), or Image Entertainment.
In 2014, the Westchester/Castle Hill holdings were purchased by entertainment distribution company Shout! Factory.
Discover more about Closure and holdings related topics
Key films of Castle Hill
- A Night in Casablanca
- A Face in the Crowd
- What's Up Tiger Lily
- Breaker Morant
- Baby Doll
- Blue Moon
- Finding Home
- Jersey Guy
Discover more about Key films of Castle Hill related topics
Source: "Castle Hill Productions", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, December 20th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Hill_Productions.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ "Shout! Factory Acquires Westchester Films (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-02-09.
- 1978 establishments in New York (state)
- 2009 disestablishments in New York (state)
- All articles needing additional references
- All stub articles
- American film company stubs
- American independent film studios
- Articles needing additional references from April 2021
- Articles needing additional references from October 2019
- Articles with J9U identifiers
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with VIAF identifiers
- Articles with WORLDCATID identifiers
- Companies disestablished in 2009
- Defunct companies based in New York City
- Entertainment companies based in New York City
- Entertainment companies established in 1978
- Film distributors of the United States
- Mass media companies based in New York City
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.