Cannonball (Supertramp song)
|Single by Supertramp|
|from the album Brother Where You Bound|
|B-side||"Ever Open Door"|
|Genre||Progressive rock, jazz rock|
|Length||4:47 (single version)|
7:38 (album version)
7:42 (12-inch Direct-To-Disc"Audiophile"Version)
10:00 (12-inch Instrumental version)
|Producer(s)||Supertramp, David Kershenbaum|
|Supertramp singles chronology|
|"Cannonball" on YouTube|
"Cannonball" is the opening track from Supertramp's 1985 album Brother Where You Bound.
"Cannonball" was written and sung by keyboardist Rick Davies entirely in the chord of G minor. Davies stated in an interview "I did it simply to see if it could be done".
The lyrics to the song may have been seen as a veiled message to former member Roger Hodgson but Davies revealed in a French radio interview that they were inspired by a less than perfect concert promoter whom he refused to name.
The track became Supertramp's last US Top 40 single to date, peaking at number 28 on the Billboard singles charts in July 1985. It also crossed over to the dance charts, peaking at number nine.
On the flip side of the 12-inch release is a 10-minute instrumental version of the song. Near the LP version's fade-out, the brass play a citation of the Jazz tune Topsy.
The promo video was directed by Steve Barron and depicted a caveman who goes after his wayward cavewoman, who left his home to travel to modern day Grand Junction, CO to see the band rehearsing the song on stage. When he sees her, he bellows...and wakes up to see the cavewoman there in the cave, realizing he had dreamed it all.
Discover more about Overview related topics
- Rick Davies: piano, synthesizer, vocals
- John Helliwell: saxophones
- Bob Siebenberg: drums
- Dougie Thomson: bass
- Marty Walsh: guitar
- Doug Wintz: trombone
Discover more about Personnel related topics
|Dutch Top 40||35|
|German Singles Chart||60|
|Swiss Singles Chart||25|
|US Billboard Hot 100||28|
|US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||4|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||9|
Discover more about Chart performance related topics
Source: "Cannonball (Supertramp song)", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, November 28th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball_(Supertramp_song).
Get our FREE extension now!
Breakfast in America
Crime of the Century (album)
Crisis? What Crisis?
Even in the Quietest Moments...
...Famous Last Words...
Brother Where You Bound
Free as a Bird (album)
The Autobiography of Supertramp
The Logical Song
Breakfast in America (song)
Take the Long Way Home (Supertramp song)
Dreamer (Supertramp song)
Give a Little Bit
It's Raining Again
The Very Best of Supertramp
- ^ Adams, Bret. Brother Where You Bound at AllMusic. Retrieved 22 August 2021.
- ^ "The Hot 100 Chart". Billboard.
- ^ "Supertramp – Cannonball (1985, Vinyl)". Discogs.
- ^ Australian Chart Book (1970–1992) – David Kent pp. 301
- ^ "RPM Top 100 Singles - July 13, 1985" (PDF).
- ^ "De Nederlandse Top 40, week 26, 1985". Archived from the original on 18 May 2011. Retrieved 19 November 2008.
- ^ "Chartverfolgung / Supertramp / Single". Music Line (in German). Germany: Media Control Charts. Archived from the original on 2 March 2014. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- ^ "hitparade.ch". Retrieved 19 November 2008.
- ^ a b c "billboard.com Supertramp chart history". Retrieved 19 November 2008.
- 1985 singles
- 1985 songs
- A&M Records singles
- AC with 0 elements
- All articles with unsourced statements
- Articles with hAudio microformats
- Articles with short description
- Articles with unsourced statements from May 2011
- CS1 German-language sources (de)
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Songs written by Rick Davies
- Supertramp songs
- Use British English from December 2012
- Use dmy dates from November 2021
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.