British Egg Industry Council
|Predecessor||Egg Marketing Board|
|Purpose||To represent the British egg industry|
The British Egg Industry Council is an organisation set up in 1986 to represent the British egg industry. It currently has 11 member organisations including the British Egg Products Association, the National Farmers Union and the British Free Range Egg Producers Association (BFREPA). The BEIC operates the British Egg Information Service, which promotes the consumption of eggs to the public.
The main marketing activity of the British Egg Information Service is the Lion Quality Mark scheme. This is a mark that can be stamped onto eggs by producers who are signed up to its Lion Quality Code of Practice. The code of practice requires that all laying hens must be vaccinated against Salmonella enteritidis and also places certain welfare, feeding, traceability and freshness standards upon producers. The Lion Mark however is not necessarily a sign that the eggs are organic or free range. As of 2009, the British Egg Information Service claims that 84% of eggs produced in the UK are produced to Lion standards.
Discover more about Lion Mark related topics
Source: "British Egg Industry Council", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2021, July 13th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Egg_Industry_Council.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ Knowledge Guide Archived 2010-02-06 at the Wayback Machine, British Egg Information Service, retrieved 4 September 2009.
- ^ Lion Code of Practice Archived November 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine, retrieved 4 September 2009.
- 1986 establishments in the United Kingdom
- AC with 0 elements
- Agricultural marketing organizations
- Agricultural organization stubs
- All stub articles
- British food and drink organisations
- Egg organizations
- Food safety organizations
- Organizations established in 1986
- Standards organisations in the United Kingdom
- Webarchive template wayback links
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.