|Full name||Brian Guillermo Montenegro Martínez|
|Date of birth||10 June 1993|
|Place of birth||Asunción, Paraguay|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2011–2012||→ West Ham United (loan)||0||(0)|
|2014–2015||→ Leeds United (loan)||5||(0)|
|2016–2017||→ Lanús (loan)||12||(0)|
|2018–2019||→ Talleres (loan)||4||(0)|
|2021||→ Independiente del Valle (loan)||15||(7)|
|2021–2022||→ Atlético Goianiense (loan)||8||(1)|
|*Club domestic league appearances and goals, correct as of 00:30, 14 October 2021 (UTC)|
Brian Guillermo Montenegro Martínez (born 10 June 1993) is a Paraguayan footballer who plays as a winger or a striker for Primera División club Olimpia. He is a former Paraguay U20 international.
Discover more about Brian Montenegro related topics
Montenegro began his career at Paraguayan club Tacuary where he made 51 appearances and scored seven goals before joining Segunda División Uruguay side Deportivo Maldonado.
West Ham United loan
He joined West Ham on 29 August 2011 where he signed a season-long loan contract saying, "I am very excited to come here and play in England, I am hoping to get a chance to show the fans what I can do." Montenegro's first and only appearance for the senior squad was as a 78th-minute substitute on 8 January 2012 in a 1–0 FA Cup third round away defeat to Sheffield Wednesday. At the end of the season, a new contract was not agreed and he returned to Paraguay.
He returned to Tacuary coming on as a second-half substitute in their match against Libertad in August 2012. He scored two goals in 17 games in his second spell at the club.
Rubio Ñú and Libertad
In 2013, he joined Paraguayan Primera División side Rubio Ñú where he scored three goals in 14 games. His form earned him a move to fellow Paraguayan Primera División side Club Libertad. During the 2013/14 season he scored nine goals in 36 games.
In July 2014, Montenegro signed with Primera División Paraguaya Club Nacional Asunción to participate in the semi-final stages of the 2014 Copa Libertadores and the Torneo Clasura of the Paraguayan Championship.
Replacing injured forward Fredy Bareiro, Montenegro was in the starting line-up of the first-leg of Nacional's semi-final Copa Libertadores fixture against Defensor Sporting on 22 July. In the 35th minute of the first-half, Montenegro opened the scoring for Nacional, giving them a 1–0 lead, the goal was assisted by Julián Benítez. The fixture concluded 2–0 in favor of Nacional.
Montenegro finished a runner up for Nacional Asunción in the Copa Libertadores final after losing out to Argentina's San Lorenzo 2–1 on aggregate in the two legged final.
Loan to Leeds United
On 1 September 2014, Montenegro signed on loan for Leeds United, the deal includes an option to buy. Montenegro was given the number 26 shirt for the 2014/15 season.
On 25 October 2014, Montenegro was named in Leeds' matchday squad for the first time when he was named as a substitute against Wolverhampton Wanderers. He made his debut in the same match as a 2nd half substitute in a 2–1 loss. The match was the last game for Head Coach Darko Milanič who was relieved of his duties minutes after the game.
On 4 January 2015, Montenegro made his first Leeds start when he started Leeds' FA Cup 1–0 defeat against Sunderland A.F.C.
After scoring an impressive 15 goals in 17 league games during the 2016 Primera Division Paraguaya season for Nacional Asuncion, Montenegro was loaned to Cerro Porteño for the remainder of their 2016 Copa Libertadores campaign. Several days later however, the transfer was declined due to a documentation requirement.
Loan to Atlético Goianiense
On 3 August 2021, Atlético Clube Goianiense announced the signing of Montenegro on a season-long loan from Olimpia.
Discover more about Club career related topics
Montenegro has played for Paraguay's Under-20 side and featured in the 2011 South American Youth Championship in January 2011. He also played at the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey, where he scored with an "acrobatic overhead kick" against Greece in the group stage.
Discover more about International career related topics
- Atlético Goianiense
Discover more about Honours related topics
Source: "Brian Montenegro", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, January 11th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Montenegro.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ a b c "FIFA U-20 World Cup Turkey 2013 List of Players: Paraguay" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 23 June 2013. p. 19. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 June 2013.
- ^ a b "Brian Montenegro". whufc.com. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- ^ "Montenegro signs". whufc.com. 29 August 2011. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- ^ "Sheffield Wed 1 - 0 West Ham". BBC Sport. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- ^ "Brian vuelve a Inglaterra". ABC Color (in Spanish). 25 June 2012. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- ^ "Brian Montenegro no queda en West Ham". ABC Color (in Spanish). 14 July 2012. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- ^ "Brian Montenegro". footballzz.co.uk. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- ^ Grupo Nación de Comunicaciones. "Brian Montenegro activó con sus nuevos compañeros - DEPORTES - LANACION.com.py". La Nación - Indispensable para decidir - Noticias del Paraguay y el mundo. Archived from the original on 27 July 2014. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- ^ "Brian Montenegro, nuevo refuerzo albo para la Copa - Nacional, Copa Libertadores". d10. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- ^ "Nacional Asunción vs. Defensor Sporting - 23 July 2014 - Soccerway". Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- ^ Phil Hay (1 August 2014). "Leeds United: Montenegro joins on loan". Yorkshire Evening Post. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- ^ "Leeds United: 2014/15 SQUAD NUMBERS". Leeds United Official Site. 5 September 2014. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- ^ "Leeds 1 Wolverhampton 2". BBC Sport. 25 October 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- ^ "Sunderland 1 Leeds 0". Sky Sports. 4 January 2015. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- ^ "Brian es refuerzo azulgrana para la Copa Libertadores".
- ^ "Lo de Brian Montenegro al azulgrana al final no corre".
- ^ "Atlético Goianiense anuncia a contratação do atacante Brian Montenegro". TNT Sports (in Brazilian Portuguese). Retrieved 4 August 2021.
- ^ "Two draws leave Greece top". FIFA. Archived from the original on 1 July 2013. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- ^ É campeão! Atlético-GO vira sobre Goiás na Serrinha e fatura Goianão, O Popular, 2 April 2022
- Brian Montenegro at Soccerbase
- Brian Montenegro at Soccerway
- 1993 births
- All articles with unsourced statements
- Argentine Primera División players
- Articles with short description
- Articles with unsourced statements from August 2014
- Articles with unsourced statements from July 2020
- Association football forwards
- Atlético Clube Goianiense players
- CS1 Brazilian Portuguese-language sources (pt-br)
- CS1 Spanish-language sources (es)
- Campeonato Brasileiro Série A players
- Club Atlético Lanús footballers
- Club Libertad footballers
- Club Nacional footballers
- Club Olimpia footballers
- Club Rubio Ñu footballers
- Club Tacuary footballers
- Commons category link from Wikidata
- Deportivo Maldonado players
- English Football League players
- Expatriate footballers in Argentina
- Expatriate footballers in Brazil
- Expatriate footballers in England
- Expatriate footballers in Uruguay
- Leeds United F.C. players
- Living people
- Paraguay under-20 international footballers
- Paraguayan Primera División players
- Paraguayan expatriate footballers
- Paraguayan expatriate sportspeople in Brazil
- Paraguayan expatriate sportspeople in England
- Paraguayan expatriate sportspeople in Uruguay
- Paraguayan footballers
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Sportspeople from Asunción
- Talleres de Córdoba footballers
- Use dmy dates from February 2021
- West Ham United F.C. players
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.