|Also known as|
|Directed by||Kudret Sabancı|
|Country of origin||Turkey|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||90|
|Executive producer||Erol Avci|
|Original network||Kanal D|
|Original release||November 7, 2006 –|
May 12, 2009
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015)
Binbir Gece (English: One Thousand and One Nights) is a Turkish soap opera revolving around four main characters: Sehrazat, Onur, Kerem and Bennu. The story is loosely based on the story of One Thousand and One Nights, better known as Arabian Nights. It stars Halit Ergenç as Onur, Bergüzar Korel as Şehrazat, Tardu Flordun as Kerem and Ceyda Düvenci as Bennu.
The title is the name of the story better known to the English-speaking world as Arabian Nights. The film's storyline is loosely based on the story, containing references thereto.
Şehrazat is an aspiring architect who is in desperate need for money to pay for the treatment of her son, Kaan, who is suffering from leukemia. After pleading to borrow money from several sources, she is stuck with her boss, Onur, who agrees to give her the money she needs for Kaan's treatment on the condition that she spends a night with him.
- Halit Ergenç as Onur Aksal
- Bergüzar Korel as Sehrazat Evliyaoglu Aksal
- Ceyda Düvenci as Bennu Ataman Inceoglu
- Tardu Flordun as Kerem Inceoglu
- Mehmet Polat as Erdal Karayolcu (Villain)
- Canan Ergüder as Eda Akinay (Main villain, commits suicide)
- Efe Çinar as Kaan Evliyaoglu
- Meral Çetinkaya as Peride Aksal
- Aytaç Öztuna as Seval Inceoglu
- Mert Firat as Burak Inceoglu
- Yeliz Akkaya as Melek Ataman
- Sebnem Köstem as Handan Tascioglu
- Nihat Ileri as Semih Özsener
- Duygu Çetinkaya as Sezen Özsener Inceoglu (Later divorced)
- Metin Çekmez as Burhan Evliyaoglu
- Tomris İncer as Nadide Evliyaoglu
- Ergün Demir as Ali Kemal Evliyaoglu
- Yonca Cevher Yenel as Füsun Ozcelik Evliyaoglu
- Füsun Kostak as Cansel Kilic (Dies)
- Bartu Küçükçaglayan as Gani Ozcelik
- Feyzan Çapa / Gizem Günes as Buket Evliyaoglu
- Hazal Gürel as Burcu Evliyaoglu
- Nehir Nil Karakaya as Burcin Evliyaoglu
- Metin Belgin as Zafer Gündüzalp (Dies in a plane crash)
- Merih Ermakastar as Mert
- Ayla Algan as Betül
- Melahat Abbasova as Mihriban Vahapzade
- Suphi Tekniker as Yalcin
- Zeynep Konan as Zeynep
- Nihan Durukan as Aysen
- Ayce Abana as Beyza Kayaoglu
- Nuray Uslu as Sevgi
- Feridun Düzagaç as Özcan Turkmen (Killed by Eda)
- Volga Sorgu Tekinoğlu as Mahmut Demir (Killed by Eda)
- Ismail Düvenci as Ismail
- Teoman Kumbaracibasi as Yaman Cindar
- Sennur Kaya as Firdevs
- Ebru Aykaç as Yasemin Karakus
- Erdal Bilingen as Hakan
- Karina Gükrer as Nimet
- Nazli Ceren Argon as Ayse
- Hazel Çamlidere as Ahu Işler (Villain)
- Ayben Erman as Neriman Işler (Villain)
- Alptekin Serdengeçti as Haldun Kara
- Dilara Kavadar as Nilüfer Aksal
- Nilüfer Silsupur / Ahu Sungur as Jale Eryildiz (Villain, later good, killed by Erdal)
- Ege Aydan as Engin Kayaoglu
- Ezgi Asaroglu as Duru Kayaoglu
Discover more about Cast related topics
Binbir Gece was a hit in Chile, where its success resulted in many Chileans naming their babies Onur (boys) & Sheherazade (girls). It played in the United States, Colombia, Argentina and Brazil. It was a hit in Russia in the Turkish Drama Category. The show was picked up by Netflix in the United States, but curiously only the first 49 episodes as of August 2017. This has infuriated a number of Netflix viewers that watched the series not knowing it would end abruptly at episode 49, leaving many matters unanswered. A writing campaign is underway.
The series became a primetime hit in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia and Macedonia as well as in Romania, Albania, Bulgaria and Greece. It increased the popularity of Istanbul as a tourist destination among Serbs and led to a greater interest in learning Turkish.
The series originally aired from November 7, 2006 to May 12, 2009 on Kanal D. It aired in more than 56 countries. The series aired in Chile on Mega from March 3, 2014 until January 4, 2015, in Indonesia on antv as "Shehrazat : Seribu Satu Malam" from August 3, 2015, and in Brazil on Band from March 9, 2015 until September 15, 2015. On March 1, 2021, the series premiered on Nagorik in Bangladesh as Sahasra Ek Rajani. On the same day, it was also made available for streaming on Bongo BD.
Discover more about Broadcast related topics
It was announced that it would be remade in hindi and on 14 October 2022, the first promo of the show starring Aditi Sharma and Adnan Khan titled Katha Ankahee released and scheduled to premiere on SET India on 5 December 2022.
Discover more about Remake related topics
The major TV awards ceremony in Turkey (often dubbed as the Turkish Oscars), the Altın Kelebek, (Golden Butterfly Awards) resulted in three wins for the series.
|34th Golden Butterfly Awards||Best Drama Series||Binbir Gece||Won|
|Best Actor||Halit Ergenc||Won|
|Best Actress||Bergüzar Korel||Won|
- "¿Cómo luce hoy el pequeño Kaan de 'Las Mil y Una Noches?". ecuavisa.com (in Spanish). Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- Marzolph, Ulrich (January 1, 2007). The Arabian Nights in Transnational Perspective. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 978-0814332870.
- ""Binbir Gece" Preparing to Invade Russia". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Archived from the original on October 5, 2015. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- ""1001 Nights" is Continuing to take Latin America by Storm". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Archived from the original on October 5, 2015. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "Turkish TV Series to Exceed £350m in 2015". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Archived from the original on October 5, 2015. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "Turkish Series Become a Phenom on Chilean Television". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Archived from the original on October 5, 2015. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "Turkish Soaps Under The Spotlight in Chile". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Archived from the original on October 5, 2015. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "First Turkish Drama Shown in Latin America". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Archived from the original on October 5, 2015. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "Netflix title". Netflix.
- "1001 Nights (Binbir Gece) - Watch Full Episodes Free - Turkey - TV Shows - Rakuten Viki". Archived from the original on August 15, 2017. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- "Soap power: The sweeping success of Turkish television series". Oxford Business Group. June 20, 2012.
- "Turkish Soap Operas Take Balkans by Storm". Everything Turkish. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- "Turkish series delight new audiences across the world". Drama Quarterly. Retrieved November 25, 2022.
- "Cómo Turquía está cambiando el mercado de las teleseries de A. Latina". bbc.com (in Spanish). September 3, 2014. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- Kurniawan, Ari (July 30, 2015). "Sinopsis "Shehrazat" serial drama Turki terbaru antv". Tabloidbintang. Retrieved August 8, 2022.
- "Las mil y una noches llegará a Brasil, Perú, Bolivia y EEUU hispano". todotvnews.com (in Spanish). Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- নতুন গল্পে সুলতান সুলেমান, দেখা যাবে নাগরিক টিভি ও বঙ্গতে. Jago News 24 (in Bengali). February 27, 2021. Retrieved June 8, 2022.
- জন্মদিনের উপহার ‘সহস্র এক রজনী’. Bangla Tribune (in Bengali). February 27, 2021. Retrieved June 8, 2022.
- "Popular Turkish drama 1001 Nights to get a Hindi remake titled Katha Ankahee. Details here". India Today.
- "Popular Turkish Series Binbir Gece Gets Remade in Hindi, Aditi Sharma, Adnan Khan to Lead Cast". News18. October 31, 2022.
- "It's Aditi Sharma and Adnan Khan on 'Katha Ankahee'". Mid-day. November 1, 2022.
- "Sony Entertainment Television announces the Hindi remake of the hit Turkish drama '1001 Nights'". Mid-day. October 18, 2022.
- "Yashomati Maiyaa Ke Nandlala to wrap up on November 25 after completing five months - Times of India". The Times of India.
- 2000s Turkish television series
- 2006 Turkish television series debuts
- 2009 Turkish television series endings
- All articles needing additional references
- Articles containing explicitly cited English-language text
- Articles needing additional references from October 2015
- Articles with short description
- CS1 Spanish-language sources (es)
- CS1 maint: archived copy as title
- Kanal D original programming
- Short description matches Wikidata
- Television series produced in Istanbul
- Television shows based on fairy tales
- Television shows set in Istanbul
- Turkish drama television series
- Turkish television series endings
- Use mdy dates from October 2015
- Works based on One Thousand and One Nights
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.