This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (November 2018)
The Badawiyyah, Sufi tariqah, was founded in the thirteenth century in Egypt by Ahmad al-Badawi (1199-1276). As a tariqah, the Badawiyyah lacks any distinct doctrines.
It was, however, extremely popular during both the Mamluk and Ottoman periods of Egypt. Mamluk Sultans often supported elaborate 'Mawlids' at the resting place of Shaykh Ahmed al-Badawi (or Sayyid Badawi as he is more commonly known) in the Nile Delta town of Tanta.
During the Ottoman period, this order spread to Turkey and there were several Tekkes or zawiyas in Istanbul many of which survived until the founding of the Turkish republic.
The mawlid of Sayyid Badawi is still celebrated in Egypt every year where the population of Tanta swells to almost double. Tents are placed in the streets around the Mosque of Sayyid Badawi where Qur'an recitations and sermons by important scholars from al-Azhar Mosque are delivered.
Discover more about Badawiyya related topics
Source: "Badawiyya", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2021, December 17th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badawiyya.
Get our FREE extension now!
- ^ el-Aswad, El-Sayed (July 13, 2012). Muslim Worldviews and Everyday Lives. Rowman Altamira. p. 77. ISBN 9780759121195. Retrieved 16 November 2016.
- All articles needing additional references
- All stub articles
- Articles needing additional references from November 2018
- Articles with FAST identifiers
- Articles with J9U identifiers
- Articles with LCCN identifiers
- Articles with TDVİA identifiers
- Articles with short description
- Egypt stubs
- Islam stubs
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Sufism in Egypt
- Sunni Sufi orders
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.