Arcadia Police Department
|Arcadia Police Department|
|Operations jurisdiction||Arcadia, California, USA|
|Size||11.1 square miles (29 km2)|
|Arcadia Police Department|
The Arcadia Police Department is the police department serving Arcadia, California. The headquarters of the Arcadia Police Department is located at 250 West Huntington Drive, adjacent to Arcadia City Hall and across the street from the Santa Anita Race Track. The department employs 68 sworn officers, 10 reserve officers, and 35 civilian employees. The police chief is Roy Nakamura who was appointed on January 9, 2021.
The Arcadia Police Department was founded in 1903 when residents of Arcadia voted to incorporate the city and a city marshal was appointed to oversee law enforcement. In the year 1926, the city marshal's office was transitioned into a Police Department. Currently the department patrols some notable events, such as the Santa Anita Derby, along with the Santa Anita Race Track and the Westfield Santa Anita Mall.
The Department primarily uses the Los Angeles County Sheriff's academy for academy training. The Department also maintains an explorer program with 16 explorers. Police officers work on a "3-16" schedule and respond to all emergency calls in an average time of 3 minutes or less. Since the establishment of the Arcadia Police Department, one officer, Albert E. Matthies, has died in the line of duty. Officer Matthies died on July 19, 1927, when he pulled over a car with three men inside. Without warning one of the men in the backseat shot and killed Officer Matthies who died instantly. The three men were later on captured and convicted of his murder.
The Arcadia Police Department also maintains a detective bureau made up of 12 Detective, Supervised by one Sergeant, and commanded by a Lieutenant. The bureau is divided into different areas of responsibility: Crimes Against Persons including Sex Crimes, Property Crime, Fraud Crimes, Tech Crimes, Crimes Against Property, Major Accident Investigation Team, Crime Analysis Unit, and a Gang, Narcotics, and Vice area. Detective's from different areas have been involved in different key investigations such as when Detectives responsible for Narcotics raided a home in Arcadia and seized 150 Marijuana plants and arrested and charged three individuals. Detectives have also investigated election violations in municipal elections such as in the year 2014 when they investigated City Councilman Sho Tay's election activities of allegedly collecting and mailing ballots. The detective bureau worked alongside the rest of the Arcadia Police in September 2013 to investigate threats to Arcadia High School that a "man with a gun" was on campus. The threats turned out to be a hoax but the campus was still locked down and Arcadia Police SWAT were deployed to evacuate students. After joint cooperation between the Arcadia, Monrovia, and Covina police departments along with the LA County Sheriff's Department and the FBI, a suspect was arrested and charged with five felony counts of making criminal threats and five counts of false report of an emergency.
Source: "Arcadia Police Department", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2022, March 20th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_Police_Department.
Get our FREE extension now!
San Diego County Sheriff's Department
Campaign Against Marijuana Planting
Fresno Police Department
Jacksonville Sheriff's Office
Orange County Sheriff's Department (California)
Miami-Dade Police Department
Louisville Metro Police Department
List of law enforcement agencies in California
Ventura County Sheriff's Office
University of California police departments
Lake County Sheriff's Office (Florida)
Wichita Police Department
Norfolk Police Department
- ^ "Police Department". City of Arcadia, California. Retrieved 20 March 2022.
- ^ "Arcadia Police History". Archived from the original on 27 May 2014. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- ^ "67 Officers Graduate from L.A. Sheriff's Academy". Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- ^ "Arcadia Police Fact Sheet" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 August 2013. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- ^ "Arcadia Police Officer Albert Matthies Remembered". Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- ^ "Arcadia Police Detective Bureau". Archived from the original on 3 March 2013. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- ^ "Arcadia Police find 150 marijuana plants, arrest 3 suspects". Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- ^ "Arcadia police investigating possible election code violation". Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- ^ "Arcadia High Lockdown Lifted After Alleged Gun Threat". Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- ^ "Monrovia Man Arrested in Repeated Phoned Threats in San Gabriel Valley". Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- 1903 establishments in California
- All articles with topics of unclear notability
- Arcadia, California
- Articles with short description
- Articles with topics of unclear notability from June 2022
- Company articles with topics of unclear notability
- Municipal police departments of California
- Organizations based in Los Angeles County, California
- Pages using law enforcement agency with local civilian police general nature
- Short description matches Wikidata
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.