42nd Golden Raspberry Awards
|42nd Golden Raspberry Awards|
|Awarded for||Worst in film|
|Date||March 26, 2022|
|Site||Los Angeles, California|
|Worst Picture||Diana: The Musical|
|Most awards||Diana: The Musical (5)|
|Most nominations||Diana: The Musical (9)|
The 42nd Golden Raspberry Awards, or Razzies, was an awards ceremony that honored the worst the film industry had to offer in 2021. It took place on March 26, 2022, in its traditional slot on the day before the Oscars. The awards were based on votes from members of the Golden Raspberry Foundation. The nominations were announced on February 7, 2022.
This year introduced a special category titled "Worst Performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 Movie", which consists of all eight films that Willis appeared in from 2021. On March 30, 2022, Willis's family announced he was retiring from acting following an aphasia diagnosis. The Razzies originally stood by their decision, tweeting "perhaps this explains why he wanted to go out with a bang in 2021. Our best wishes to Bruce and family", but later rescinded the award in the wake of public backlash, stating that it would be unfair to Willis or any other performer to award a Razzie if the poor performance is due to a medical condition beyond the performer's control.
Winners and nominees
Discover more about Winners and nominees related topics
Films with multiple nominations
The following films received multiple nominations:
|9||Diana: The Musical|
|The Woman in the Window|
|4||Dear Evan Hansen|
|Space Jam: A New Legacy|
|House of Gucci|
|Tom & Jerry|
The following films received multiple wins:
|5||Diana: The Musical|
|3||Space Jam: A New Legacy|
Discover more about Films with multiple nominations related topics
Prior to the ceremony, the Razzies were heavily criticized for overlooking critically panned performances and films, including He's All That and Thunder Force among others, while also nominating mostly unknown films. They also received criticism for lacking actual actor couples in the Worst Screen Combo category and its inclusion for performances by Ben Affleck in the critically acclaimed film The Last Duel and Jared Leto in House of Gucci for Worst Supporting Actor; both performances were nominated, with Leto winning the award. Conversely, Leto received nominations for Best Supporting Actor from the Critics Choice Association and Screen Actors Guild. A reviewer for the website The Avocado was particularly critical of Affleck's nomination, stating that he "gave one of the year's best performances" in The Last Duel, writing: "Was it silly? Of course it was and it was perfect for the role." The same reviewer also criticized Leto's nomination, writing that he "doesn't deserve to be on here either" and arguing that he was "perfectly cast as a pathetic little moron that's in over his head" in House of Gucci.
In March 2022, after it was announced that Bruce Willis would retire from acting following his diagnosis with aphasia, the special category "Worst Performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 Movie" incurred criticism as being insensitive. The awards organization initially defended the category, but later announced that they would rescind the category and its nominations, saying "If someone's medical condition is a factor in their decision making and/or their performance, we acknowledge that it is not appropriate to give them a Razzie".
Discover more about Criticism related topics
Source: "42nd Golden Raspberry Awards", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, January 26th), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42nd_Golden_Raspberry_Awards.
Get our FREE extension now!
- Sharf, Zach (February 7, 2022). "Razzie Awards 2022: Jared Leto, Ben Platt Up for Worst Performances". Variety. Retrieved February 8, 2022.
- Lewis, Hilary (February 7, 2022). "Razzies: Filmed Version of 'Diana' Stage Musical Tops 2022 Nominees". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 8, 2022.
- Pedersen, Erik (February 7, 2022). "Razzie Awards Nominations: 'Diana, The Musical' Up For Worst (Almost) Everything". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 8, 2022.
- Bergeson, Samantha (February 7, 2022). "Bruce Willis Makes Razzies History with Eight Nominations in His Own Worst Performance Category". IndieWire. Retrieved February 8, 2022.
- Chitwood, Adam (March 31, 2022). "Razzie Awards Backtrack, Rescind Bruce Willis Award – and Shelly Duvall Nomination as Well". The Wrap. Retrieved March 31, 2022.
- Trotta, Daniel (March 26, 2022). "Diana musical and 'Space Jam' snag the most Razzie awards". Reuters. Retrieved March 26, 2022.
- The Razzie® Awards [@RazzieAwards] (March 31, 2022). "The Razzies are truly sorry for #BruceWillis diagnosed condition. Perhaps this explains why he wanted to go out with a bang in 2021. Our best wishes to Bruce and family" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- The Immortan Scott (January 21, 2022). "Scott Looks at the Razzie Ballot Year 4: Did Ben Affleck Run Over the Razzie's Cat or Something?". The Avocado. Retrieved January 22, 2022.
- Hammond, Pete (December 13, 2021). "Critics Choice Awards Film Nominations Led By 'Belfast' And 'West Side Story'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 8, 2022.
- Hipes, Patrick (January 12, 2022). "SAG Awards Nominations: 'House Of Gucci', 'Power Of The Dog', 'Succession', 'Ted Lasso' Top Lists". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 8, 2022.
- Lambert, Harper (March 31, 2022). "Razzie Awards Defend Adding Category for Worst Bruce Willis Performance". TheWrap. Retrieved March 31, 2022.
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.