1979 Intercontinental Cup
|Date||18 November 1979|
|Venue||Malmö Stadion, Malmö|
|Referee||Pat Partridge (England)|
|Date||2 March 1980|
|Venue||Defensores del Chaco, Asunción|
|Referee||Juan Daniel Cardellino (Uruguay)|
The 1979 Intercontinental Cup was an association football final played on a two-legged system. It was the last time in the history of the tournament that this format was used before Toyota became the main sponsor in 1980 and a single-game final was held each year in Japan. The final was played between Olimpia Asunción of Paraguay (winners of the 1979 Copa Libertadores) and Malmö FF of Sweden (runners-up of the 1978–79 European Cup), with Olimpia emerging as the champion after a 3–1 aggregate score win. Malmö FF took its place as the runners-up of the European competition since the European champions Nottingham Forest declined to play the final.
Discover more about 1979 Intercontinental Cup related topics
Discover more about Match details related topics
Source: "1979 Intercontinental Cup", Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, (2023, February 1st), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Intercontinental_Cup.
Get our FREE extension now!
- 1970s in Malmö
- 1979 in Paraguayan football
- 1979 in South American football
- 1979 in Swedish football
- 1979–80 in European football
- 1980 in Paraguayan football
- 1980 in South American football
- 1980 in Swedish football
- 1980s in Asunción
- Articles with short description
- Club Olimpia matches
- Intercontinental Cup (football)
- International association football competitions hosted by Paraguay
- International club association football competitions hosted by Sweden
- International sports competitions in Malmö
- Malmö FF matches
- March 1980 sports events in Europe
- November 1979 sports events in Europe
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- Sports competitions in Asunción
The content of this page is based on the Wikipedia article written by contributors..
The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence & the media files are available under their respective licenses; additional terms may apply.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization & is not affiliated to WikiZ.com.